Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Permanent Dock Steps

O.K. - this is a dumb one - at least for the DIY'ers on the site. I'd like to make a set of permanent dock steps on my dock, which is a wall dock (port side tie). The idea would be to make a set that were 36"s high x 36"s wide. The length is unimportant. I'm envisioning a setup that would have a side entry (up the steps parallel to the port side - fwd climbing aft). at the top of the 36" height I like to have a small deck / landing area. The landing would be 48"s long (fore to aft) and at least 48"s deep (from edge of the boat to outer edge. I'd also like to have about an 18" - 24" overhang over the water so I don't have a 2' gap to navigate after cocktails or with older passengers. Anyone have any well thought out plans or pictures? This will be permanent and could be move about 30' for winter storage, or I can leave sit. It should be heavy enough not to blow away, and I would like Trex or some other no-maintenance set up. It needs to look REALLY professional (naturally). I'm electrically inclines and wood working just doesn't come out well for me... Even better - a nce deck / step out of fiberglass would be great with a $200 budget. What say 'yee?
    Formally Top Hatt and Tails
    1980 53MY

Re: Permanent Dock Steps

I've made them out of treated lumber before. It's not that hard. Just pick up some 5/4 deck boards for the treads and some 2x8's for the risers. A drill and a skill saw is all you need.

Your budget will not allow for anything else unless it's used and you find a deal.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Don't forget the big box of galvanized deck screws!
    Very doable on the $200 budget. I'd recommend cutting it off-site and assembling on the dock. It's going to weigh a ton once it's put together. You can add 4 - 6 galvanized angle brackets to the bottom to keep it place.

4. Re: Permanent Dock Steps

Nothing will stay put in strong enough winds; whater you do, fasten it with screws to the dock....

all fiberglass marine dock boxes are foolishly expensive.....

An option: put a dock box on top of a lower box of pressure treated lumber....
    I did that because the three step fiberglass box I had was not high enough..so I built about a 12" high "platform" and screwed the fiberglass dock box on top of it....
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

Building the steps is easy. I made mine using treated 4x4's for corner posts then 2X6's for top framing and 2X12's for step stringers. I used 6" decking for the top platform and top of steps. Everything bolted and screwed. For a little "extra" I was able to design the steps around a plastic two-door storage unit from Lowe's which just fit under the top of the platform. Like you I have the side access to the boat and made handrails around the top platform and down one side of the steps. I used angle brackets and secured the legs to the dock. If you want some pictures send me an email to: eze2bme@aol.com

I Don't know where you are, but don't forget to take the tide rise into consideration if it is large.

Bob

Tides aren't a real concern on Lake Erie. We do get wind tides and can go up or down a few inches to a foot at times. I took measurements throughout the season last year and 36"s will do it just about perfect. However, late in the season (September+) we can loose water real fast (last year we had a couple seiche's and it went down 6'). I'm going to build 34's high - which will allow the up and down pretty good, I think. I don't think we'll have more than a 7"-8" up and down most of the season (which is a comfortable riser height). At that height I have the top riser of the treads even with the platform - so if its not tall enough, I can re-mount the steps to use the platform as an additional 6" riser to boost me up another 6"s. I was wondering how to make it water proof inside for storage - love the mini storage shed inside the steps idea. If I don't have room - I can still probably use large tupperware containers inside the step. Nailing to the dock will be difficult - its a gravel parking area. I might be able to run a 2x4 across the dock poles and mount to that. Otherwise - I'll be looking for some sand bags to put inside.

Now- what ideas to "jazz it up"? Went with pressure treated platform and stringers. No decision yet on treads and risers. Maybe just pressure treated deck lumber with a stain and non-skid mixed in? Go with Trex and paint the other wood? Ideas???
    1980 53MY

I designed a set of steps which have worked well for me. It used 1+ sheet of 3/4 plywood and 1/2 sheet of 1/2 plywood, fg tape, epoxy and HD hinges. Total materials would be in your range.

The hinged "drawbridges" drop down for access and swing back to allow clearance. Our tide range here is about 2.5 ft.

The steps are attached to the dock decking and the step enclosure allows for protected storage. Let me know if you would like more details.

I'm kind of proud of my Idea. Has anyone seen steps like this before?

Regards,
    Vincent
    Attached Images

Home Depot has precut stringers of pressure treated pine and gavlanized carriage bolts to use to hold things together well. Picture of my set attached. Be careful of the water overhang you mentioned. My set is VERY heavy but I can still drag it around on our wooden docks.
    Attached Images

looks great. Yah- the water overhang will be tricky. I've got 36" ball bumpers that keep her off the dock. So I've estimated that an 18" overhang is the max I wan to go - so when she is pegged against the dock, I'm still clear. I can always move the steps away from the boat as well (a wall dock onto a parking lot - so plenty of room). Going to box them in and create storage underneath. Might even put a length of dock bumper along the overhang edge - just in case. A (terrible) thought occurred to me that I might enjoy a coat or two of stain and sikkens gloss with nonskid mixed in for a nice added touch. If I don;t do that, I'll just put some skateboard non-skid tape along the steps and landing. This will be a great place to keep extra power cords adapters, hoses, 5 gal oil buckets, cleaning supplies, and soda wash...
    1980 53MY