Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Forum Guidelines

In the past several months I have received several emails and PM's pertaining to forum activity - especially as it relates to the Everything Else Sandbar content. I've had members complain about other members behavior. I've had members complain that there is too much moderation. I've had members complain that there is not enough moderation leading to total forum degradation. I've had members complain about liberal views which were out of line. I've had members complain about conservative views which were out of line. I've had complaints about the blatant use of profanity. I've had users threathen to stop purchasing from Sam's Marine because the fact that certain content appears on the forum means we obviously must endorse it.

Fortunately, I've also received a lot of positive feedback on how useful and appreciated the HOF is.

As a result, I've considered several options. Among them being:

- restructuring the forum (which I do not want to do)
    - increasing moderation (which I do not want to do)
    - prohibiting all political threads (which I do not want to do)
    - eliminating the Everything Else section of the forum altogehter (which I do not want to do)

Unfortunately, I do not have the time to closely monitor forum content - nor do I want to. When the forum originated, I asked three of the members if they would help to insure that everyone follow the guidelines to a reasonable degree and watch for spam and they were kind enough to agree which is greatly appreciated.

I've decided that for the time being, I am simply going to ask once again for everyone to conduct themselves as adults, be civil, stop the he said - she said nonsense, re-read the forum guidelines below and adhere to them.

If that does not work, I will unfortunately have to look for other options.

Not only is this site linked from the Sam's Marine web site, it is also linked directly from the Hatteras Yachts web site and other dealer sites which helps new owners locate this forum and Sam's Marine as a source for parts and service which helps us stay in business and subsequently provide a forum such as this. I would like for it to remain this way.

I sincerely thank you for your cooperation.

The forum guidelines are listed below.

HATTERAS OWNERS FORUM ACCEPTABLE USE POLICY & GUIDELINES

Listed below are some expectations that users will be held to when using this forum.

Purpose

The Hatteras Owners forum was created for Hatteras owners (past, present, & future) and others throughout the Hatteras community as a place where members can learn and share. Current ownership of a Hatteras is not a requirement for registration or participation.

Posting Guidelines

We ask that you follow basic "netiquette guidelines" when using the forums.

• We recommend reading messages in a particular forum group for a while before posting. This will acquaint you with the discussions taking place, other participants, and the general tone of the group. Much like joining a conversation at a party, listening first and talking second will result in a better experience for everyone. That said, however, don't be afraid to participate! The true value of this forum is in the discussions that take place and the people participating in them!

• Search before posting - Please try to use the search feature on the forum prior to starting a new topic. There’s a good chance you’ll find a past thread on the issue you are interested in.

• Refrain from using vulgar or off-color language or posting offensive, racist or insulting messages. This forum is sponsored by Sam’s Marine and as a result, the forum content can reflect upon our company and to some degree that of the manufacturer. Your understanding and consideration of this fact is sincerely appreciated.

• Please "try" to keep topics related to Hatteras and boating. Occasional digressions are quite OK, but they should be the exception and not the rule.

• Advertisements or public solicitations by vendors for goods or services are not allowed in the forums. Businesses within the Hatteras community are welcome and encouraged to participate and contribute to the discussions at hand, but flagrant advertisements and solicitations are not allowed.

• If a conflict arises with another member - TAKE IT OFFLINE. The forum and the Sandbar is meant to be a place where members of the Hatteras community can help one another - not a place for public controversy.

• Bashing of vendors or members is prohibited. If you feel the need to comment about a negative experience associated with a vendor, take it offline and do it privately. There can be legal ramifications associated with public defamation.

• Try to avoid thread clutter caused by unnecessary one-liner replies that do not add value to the thread. Remember too that you can use the forum Private Message function for these type of replies which do not add anything useful to the topic being discussed.

• A minor point but one that may be worth mentioning for members who are new to such discussion groups – please avoid using “all caps” when posting as this is sometimes interpreted by other members as shouting and can make posts more difficult to read.

• Posting personal emails or private messages to the public forum is expressly prohibited and grounds for immediate suspension of forum priviledges.

Moderators monitor the forums and reserve the right to delete any message, without notice, that does not follow these guidelines. A violation of the Forums Acceptable Use Policy constitutes "unauthorized use" and may result in termination of your privileges with repeated offenses. We extend our sincere thanks for following the guidelines above and for the content contributions which have made this forum a success.
    Doug Langley, Forum Admin
    Sam's Marine International
    http://www.samsmarine.com

Re: Forum Guidelines

I think you have taken the right decision. Hopefully everyone will stow their strong political views and comply with your request.

Quote Originally Posted by DCMY #92 View Post
    I think you have taken the right decision. Hopefully everyone will stow their strong political views and comply with your request.
    The problem goes beyond politics. There are some that frequent this site that just have to make personal attacks on others. No one deserves to be treated like that whether they are a member or a moderator. We all know those that just banter back and forth on any subject and it's always the same culprits. It shouldn't be that way and it was never a problem in the early days of the forum. Reign in the "problem children" and the all will be well. Leave them to continue this and they tend to get others involved in the same type of behavior(including myself on occasion).

That's just my personal observation and I may be wrong. Hopefully they will heed the warning from Doug and shape up on their own. I know I'll think twice before I get involved in any of that.

Thanks again to Doug and staff for a great site.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I know that I am not without sin, so I cannot cast the first stone...
    I hafta agree with this issue as well, and I know in the past that Ive no doubt offended some others, but after being admonished, have moved on. Some guys go on and on, and even Ppat who is new here has mentioned what a wee-wee contest some of the threds have turned into.
    As most know, I really enjoy working on the Sub and sharing success (??) stories as well, but cant hang around when the stuff goes political, and then degrades from there. I also enjoy others' constructive comments about what we are accomplishing and really want to see this forum move on to better avenues...
    Now, if some one would only loosen these buckles on my straight jacket...Enjoy it here before its gone guys, believe you me, MOST of the other forums are for the losers that do not have a life... ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

I would be ok with banning politics. Nothing good seems to come from those threads.

First of all, as a relative newbie I would like to thank you for this forum. Lots of great info here and it seems like there are some great folks.

I know that all of the negative banter is not necessarily politically based. On the other hand, political differences seem to bring out our worst. I am probably no exception.

I started a thread on a similar issue on 1/22/10. I was told to simply not read those threads. I can do that. I do feel that we all probably have some good to contribute regardless of our political beliefs and if we can set those differences aside, we will all get along better.

At the end of the day we are all boaters and should enjoy what we have in common.
    1974 Chris Craft Roamer 60'

I understand what they're trying to do and it might be OK if they don't go to far with it. If they do and that often happens, then you turn a forum into a sterile place that's not very interesting and you lose viewers and participants. No one is offended but less information is generated not a good thing. Certainly racism sexism foul language has to be taken out that's obvious. But if you start saying an argument is not allowed or zapping people because they're manners aren't up to par IMHO everybody loses. That would be catering to people that complain about political threads or arguments and those complaints should be ignored simply because those people doing the complaining would have to be reading those threads at they're own free will. I mean if you don't like what your reading then stop reading it that's pretty basic. Especially here where threads are titled so most are obvious if you come across a thread that changed course into something you don't like then stop reading it and you won't or shouldn't be offended.

Arguments bring out facts and logic that otherwise might not come out that's why our criminal justice system is nothing more than a controlled argument. Granted there isn't any controlling it here but if it's to much for you don't view it or participate and it will die a quick death on it's own. Controversial people are interesting just look at the views they draw. Creative people are different by nature and often get bored quickly in an overly controlled environment. If you push out those controversial and creative people in an attempt to make it civil and appease a few cry babies then you may degrade what your trying to improve.

Brian

I'M with Brian. If you're sensitivities are easily offended the sloution is simple, stay in the tech section. You can spend 20 pages discussing oil. If you like to be like most boaters who discuss a wide range of topics, and sometimes disagree, but still have fun, visit the everything else section.

Above all be an adult and don't go whining to Doug.

9. Re: Forum Guidelines

I entirely disagree and this has, in the last few months, gone beyond The Sandbar as well and into the so-called "Technical" areas.

I have received PMs from people who simply won't help around here any more, and frankly, I can't say I blame them. I've got a very thick skin (comes from being on the 'Net since it was pushed around over dial-up phone lines at 1200bps) so it's nothing new to me, but some of the behavior is just plain deplorable - and not just in here.

As I explained to one complainant Doug makes the rules - those of us who help moderate simply enforce them. That's all. If someone brings an issue to Doug and doesn't get the answer they want (or any at all!) coming to one of us after that is a waste of time - you got your answer from the big cheese, and we're little cheese. I'm certainly not going to step in that which Doug has decided not to!

I do, however, entirely disagree with the position that "one should just not read." Sorry - this is not your forum, it's Sam's forum. It reflects on the company and the firm has a right to set the rules of participation as it sees fit. We who try to keep up with this don't do a perfect job nor can we be expected to - we don't have omniscience - nobody does. But the rules are here, they're pretty clear and while I kind of like The Sandbar I also think it has become in some instances a tool of divisiveness and that's not cool. If you really want a place to run that sort of banter set up your own forum and attract your own userbase. It's not as easy as it looks.

My 2 cents FWIW.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

I think the supposed mission of "Everything Else" should be held to what is stated:

"Cruising, Rendezvous, Clubs, Shows, & General Boating Discussions"

I try to ignore the non-boating stuff in the Sandbar, but don't always succeed. Overall, I don't see the point of non-boating related threads, especially political and societal on this forum. There are thousands of places for that on the Internet.

At least over at BoaterEd and THT, they have explicitly segregated sections, "Not Boating Related" and " Bilge" for political stuff.

As for the some of the childishness and sniping that goes on, yeah it seems to be the same 4 or 5. If I was King of the forum, if I had my company name associated with this, I'd bounce them, but I'm not. So the best I can do is try to ignore them.
    Last edited by GJH; 02-15-2010 at 11:23 PM.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014