Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Re: Changing prop shaft gland packing

Well guys, it just got more ugly on my port engine as well. The port trans shaft and flange splines are ok, BUT the shaft bearing is trashed. I am now personaly into the gear box changing out the double row ball bearing. With respect to hours, the boat has about 3800 hrs on the engines and drive train. I have found that the aft engine mounts have settled about 3/8" to 1/2" on the verticle, thay are ok on the horzontal axis. What is interesting the origional DD docs. describe these mounts as an optional - "resilent type mount". On closer inspection there is a bonded elastomer that appears to have delaminated. My new mounts are PYI 1200 lbs units. I am welding up brackets using 1" x 2 1/2" flat bar bent at 90 deg and attached to the trans, and for the front I am welding the same to the existing brackets. In addition I am adding the vibration spacer between the two flanges. What really tic's me off is I paid a heafty price for a survey that states the mounts are in " good condition" and "no excess movement found on sea trials". Further on closer inspection I found the Stbd flang coupler to have a recently added seal serface repair seleve and oversize seal. What is really telling is that I also found hidden in the port engine room a simular new un-used repair kit. The first sign of a problem short of vibration, is oil sling out between the two flanges. If this happens the game is over, because for this type of oil failure to occur the slinger-ring between the flange and driven shaft gear may be damaged, and or the retainer nut (which seals the oil in) has lost it's 280 ft/lb torque preload, which in turn is evidence of either a bearing or spline coupling failure. FYI if you need to remove the shaft coupler because it's a morris taper, I strongly recomend renting a Porto-power, just place a small 2 1/2" ram between the two flanges with 2 - 5 1/2" long 5/8" grade 8 bolts and pump, they both poped easly. I tryed the same clamping approach by tightening all 6 grade 8 flange bolts with a spacer between the flanges, and no success. Regarding alignment, I found one way to check it is to remove the coupler and spot the center line of the shaft to the center line of the transmission, it's a pain but I believe it works, assuming your shaft bearings are ok.

By the way does any one know the location of the set secrews that hold in the cutless- bearings located at the engine end? Mike

Mike,

I don't know if it's pertinent, but Pascoe's article also mentions that a boat's hull changes shape when it's hauled compared to when it's in the water, including a potential difference between engine stringers. When all of your extensive work is done, can you (or should you) do final engine alignment in the water? I'm a novice at any trans or engine alignment work, so I'm just wondering if it applies.

Doug Shuman

Maybe it's just SeaRays that change shape

On the re-alignment I am going to do the final set-up in the water, for the same reasons you mentioned. I'll let you know the amount of change between being on the hard vs in the water. I hope there is no difference, but I do expect to see some change.

Your boat should sit in the water at least a week before you try to do a shaft flange alignment. Your boat will change shape in the water. Never align the flanges on the hard. All boats change shape from the hard to the water. Pascoe is correct. Bill

Final installment on the original subject - packing glands. After spinning the shaft log hoses 180 degrees to offset hose droop that caused the gland to be too low on the shaft, and repacking with GFO, she's now running centered, almost dripless and completely cool after 2 hours. I'm going to call this one done, but may this thread live on until Mike has conquered his workload and is splashed again.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Doug