Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Rhode Island to Rockport 1000 Islands Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    We have gone the Oswego route but not Champlain. I have a friend that is looping and will be coming down the Champlain Canal this spring. Here is the link to his blog.

http://rayanddebsgreatloopcruise.blogspot.com/
    Sky:

Many thanks for that link. I am reading anything I can get my hands on in the hope of averting the usual maiden trip disasters. I may still have some challenges but hopefully I can minimize problems from learning from others' experiences - and that is why I am running this thread in the hope that others can benefit from my research and errors.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by mttopd View Post
    Hi Bill,

You are correct, the most direct/shortest route is west on the Erie Canal and up the Oswego. My preference is the Champlain route, because it's the more interesting and beautiful trip. Once you clear the Champlain canal, which you can easily do in one day, you have roughly 130 miles of Lake Champlain, a wonderful cruise with many options for overnight dockage and anchorage.

After crossing into Canada you have the Chambley canal and Richielieu River. A beautifully maintained system with hand operated locks. This joins with the St Lawrence at Sorel, a short distance down river from Montreal, a great stop over as well. From Montreal you can make Alexandria Bay in two easy days, depending on freighter traffic, you may have some delay in the Seaway.

All together the more enjoyable route, if you have the time.

Best of luck, whichever route you choose. Brian.
    Brian:

Great post and now you have me re-thinking my route. I am going to sit down with the charts with my Captain and see which route he prefers. Will keep you posted.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by eclipsarkanna View Post
    Randy:

Yes. Departure date from Providence Rhode Island is Saturday, April 24th with the hope of making it to Albany entrance to Erie Canal for opening day of the locks (May 1st). I finally found a captain (also a commercial pilot) who I have known for 35 years back when we each had 27 foot sailboats and couldn't sail worth a damn - we were basically motor heads at heart. He just retired and has piloted 2 boats (different routes) in the last 2 years - one a 55 foot and the other one a 45 foot. I am going to launch on April 1st and do test runs for a couple of weeks, get to know the boat and make sure everything is in working order before we cast off the lines.

Are you going to be finishing that Chicago trip from last year in April?

Bill
    Will be finishing it sometime this spring, but I'm not sure when. Hope everything goes smoothly for you.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    Will be finishing it sometime this spring, but I'm not sure when. Hope everything goes smoothly for you.
    Randy:

You should run a thread outlining your whole trip last year on the Chicago delivery. The pieces that I read and heard about were incredible and the run you were on for that owner illustrates how even a diligent and careful owner can end up with a challenging maiden voyage doing the delivery homeward bound. The pieces that I saw have helped me prepare for my trip so your experience may well help others. Just a suggestion if you have the time.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by eclipsarkanna View Post
    Randy:

You should run a thread outlining your whole trip last year on the Chicago delivery. The pieces that I read and heard about were incredible and the run you were on for that owner illustrates how even a diligent and careful owner can end up with a challenging maiden voyage doing the delivery homeward bound. The pieces that I saw have helped me prepare for my trip so your experience may well help others. Just a suggestion if you have the time.

Bill
    Yeah, I started a thread on here about the trip, but, like the owner, I never figured on so much adventure the first day. Sure brought back memories.

I'll fire up the thread again when we get ready to head out, and I'll take plenty of pictures as well. In fact, I bought a new HD camera to film the highlights. I'll post some video as well.

Too bad you can't time your trip as to coincide with YankeeFest at Greenport. Hey, nobody laughed (in front of him ) at Passages when he showed up in that Sea Ray bowrider last year, so I'm sure you would be welcomed.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Smile Re: Rhode Island to Rockport 1000 Islands Ontario

Yeah, I started a thread on here about the trip, but, like the owner, I never figured on so much adventure the first day. Sure brought back memories.

I'll fire up the thread again when we get ready to head out, and I'll take plenty of pictures as well. In fact, I bought a new HD camera to film the highlights. I'll post some video as well.

Too bad you can't time your trip as to coincide with YankeeFest at Greenport. Hey, nobody laughed (in front of him ) at Passages when he showed up in that Sea Ray bowrider last year, so I'm sure you would be welcomed.
    Gee Bird, I really appreciate you comparing my Mainship 40 with a Sea Ray bowrider (big smile!!). Hope your not jealous that I have twin engines that actually work (bigger smile!!). All joking aside, I do wish that I could time the trip to meet up somewhere along the way with a gathering of HOF members.

Bill

Thats because we were happy we didn't have to pick him up at the Ferry!

Plus he did take us on the little cruise.
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

Quote Originally Posted by 34Hatt View Post
    Thats because we were happy we didn't have to pick him up at the Ferry!

Plus he did take us on the little cruise.
    ROFLOL... and damn near beat our brains out!

We're just messing with you Jim, but you already knew that.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93