Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Making wing doors & NUTEAK/TEKDEK imitation teak

I ve seen marinedeck (cork) it really doesn't look like teak at all.

Considering the price of all the plastic stuff, real teak isn't a bad option
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

That's a pile of money for a plastic deck. Epe brazilian hardwood around $5 a board foot. Knock it down to 1/2 or 3/8 for a decorative deck and it's $2.50 a square foot. It's much harder and more stable than teak and if you can pick the boards you can get material that looks about the same as teak.

Brian

Ipe is a kin to walnut. Its very dark in color, almost black. I'm not sure thats a good choice for a boat deck. I have seen some Cumaru that looked like teak. I have only seen it used in interior applications though.

Comparing a raw wood board foot material price with a completed PVC deck installed price is apples and oranges. I think that if you were to perhaps get an actual price on an installed and finished teak deck project, I suspect you would be shocked.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Here's a typical Ipe board

Brian
    Attached Images

I think the key to the use of Ipe is: as Brian said in his previous post, the ability to pick the individual boards. The color ranges from dark brown to olive-brown and sometimes almost blackish tones and can vary widely in grain.
    Eric

there isnt' much difference between gluing teak or plastic. on the typical aft deck, you are looking at an extra day of caulking and sanding... not bad for the REAL stuff.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Laying a pre-made Flexiteek deck panel down into some glue on a deck is sortof like laying a pre-cut, bound piece of carpet. Do you really think that's similar labor as cutting fitting and installing a REAL teak deck?
    Eric

obviously not if you are using a premade panel but some of the plastic solutions come in pieces, glued individually.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by SeaEric View Post
    I think the key to the use of Ipe is: as Brian said in his previous post, the ability to pick the individual boards. The color ranges from dark brown to olive-brown and sometimes almost blackish tones and can vary widely in grain.
    Eric all lumber is pretty much like that. I've seen teak that was darker than Ipe and Mahogany thats lighter than Birch. Like all lumber Ipe is available in diffrent grades and cuts but you have to be able to pick out the boards to get a color match.

Brian

And there in lies the disadvantage, IMO, of PVC decking. There is no variation in color. That is the primary characteristic that makes it look fake.
    Eric