Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Making wing doors & NUTEAK/TEKDEK imitation teak

When I finish this loop trip in March and get back to home port, I want to start working on a permanent enclosure for the aft deck. I want to install wingdoors for sure, as well as a floor covering that is easier to care for than
    the carpet I have down there now.

Has anyone had experience with NuTeak, TekDek or any of the other synthetic teak products suitable for application on the aft deck? I've checked the threads but all I can find are threads that talk about the interior teak & holly products. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place.

Thanks for any help/advice.
    Bill Root, USCG 100 Ton Master, Near Coastal
    MV BUFFALO GAL
    1988 54' MY

Re: Making wing doors & NUTEAK/TEKDEK imitation teak

I have Flexiteek on my boat. It is IMO the best of the PVC decking products. Like a real teak deck will, it does get hot in the sun. Flexiteek deck panels are heat welded together and become a one piece continuous deck. Nuteak and the others are strips that are glued together. The Nuteak decking is made by Flexiteek in the UK under license. The Flexiteek that is sold in the US is made in by Flexiteek in Sweden and shipped here so it is quite expensive.

Flexiteek is working with an extruder in the US to produce the decking here which will lower the cost. Flexiteek is also introducing a do it yourself product which will be a glued profile, slightly thinner, lighter and lower cost.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

I have the same issue with my boat and looked at the plastic products but was turned off by the difficulty of repair and questionable tolerance to diesel fuel spills (of course, none of us ever spills any diesel on the aft deck). I'm getting close to deciding on Marinedeck 2000 which is a cork product made in the Netherlands and distributed by MarQuipt in the U.S. Looks like an easy install, does not get hot, will absorb sound, easy to repair, etc. If I go forward, I will install myself. Did not get a quote for materials yet. Probably will get started next fall when I put the boat away for the winter.
    Kevin Shea 1978 43DC
    Sandusky, OH

Diesel fuel shouldn't hurt PVC decking. You do want to keep Acetone away though. Other than that and burns, nothing much touches it. One of the hatches on my boat had a bubble in it. I cut a slit in the Flexiteek with a razor knife, shot some crazy glue in under it and pressed it down. All fixed. I'm not sure what kind of a repair it might need that could not be handled.
    Eric

5. Re: Making wing doors & NUTEAK/TEKDEK imitation teak

"I want to install wingdoors for sure, as well as a floor covering that is easier to care for than the carpet I have down there now."

I found an area rug to be a good solution. It absorbs sounds, unlike a solid floor so stereo is better and echo is eliminated. And it helped keep furntire from sliding around when rocking and rolling. By not covering edges of the aft deck it stayed dry since along sides is where rain water always dribbles in. And keeps dirt out of the main salon carpeting. I used to use it for six moths while cruising, then roll up for late season/cold/winter/snow conditions...it can be cleaned a few times or replaced and discarded.
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

Thanks everyone for your advice. the main reason I'm looking at a synthetic teak as opposed to carpet is that we have a large Belgian Shepherd dog that travels with us. She has long hair and sheds like crazy. It's tough enough keeping the cabins dog hair free, so I wanted something simpler for the aft deck, ie just hose it off. We have carpeting out there now and it's always a chore to get the hair out of it.

I am interested in how curved corners are handled with the Flexiteak if I want to do a margin board around the outside edge. For example, I have a large storage box that the helm seats sit on as well as the escape hatch for the aft stateroom. These all have curved corners, so I would want to do a margin board all the way around them to make it look finished off.
    MV BUFFALO GAL
    1988 54' MY

Margin borders will obviously add to the production cost of the deck panel because they're all done by hand. The radius (or miter) of the border typically matches that of the hatch opening or corner involved. Here is a photo of the deck on my Chris Craft.
    Attached Images
    Eric

Eric:

That's terrific. It's exactly the look I want.

I spoke with the So. Florida distributor for NuTeak today. They have the license for FlexTeak. Their price is $45/sq ft installed, $38 if I send them a template and they make the mat, or $25 if I just buy materials and cut/install myself. Still not cheap, but that's about half what it used to be, so the competition must be bringing the prices down.
    MV BUFFALO GAL
    1988 54' MY

I just got a quote (1/2010) on NuTeak professionally installed. The area was the entire flybridge (my bridge also includes the area where the dingy may go). Front of console, entire bridge, and top of hatch. Total area is approx 165s.f. and was estimated to be $10,990 - that includes product and labor. Needless to say it didn't make the list this year (carpet is a likely candidate at that rate)! Quote was Western Lake Erie. Perhaps that helps in your own quotes...

As far as product goes - I like it. It is supposedly UV warranted to not fade. It is supposed to be a little hot under foot, not sure how the slippage factor may be when wet...
    Formally Top Hatt and Tails
    1980 53MY

That looks like almost $67/sf if my calculations are correct. You should be able to get Flexiteek for that price, which IMO is a superior product.
    Eric