Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Water under the helm, leaking in the cabin...

I have been refitting our 1991 40' DC and repairing previous water damage. When we have heavy rain and wind, the rain blows into the fly bridge (the Isinglass is not water tight in any case) and is collecting under the helm. It seems to pool in front of the air handler under the helm but is eventually dripping down the interior port side through into the main cabin.

Before I dislocate my shoulders and squeeze under the helm to go searching, here's a question: Where is the water supposed to run away? Is there a scupper somewhere that may be blocked?

P.S. When I took the boat out 3 days later and got the bow up, the remaining water flooded backwards and escaped on to the aft deck on the starboard side.
    Nigel
    Sarasota, FL
    1991 40' MY DC

Re: Water under the helm, leaking in the cabin...

Fuel tanks full? That will set the stern down and may get the water to move. Bill
    Bill Allen 1973 43 dc
    Brielle N.J.

I understand the idea, however right now the main tank is 2/3 full and the reserve tank completely full. So that made no difference. Also then I would have to go and fill up everytime it looks like rain.....
    Nigel
    Sarasota, FL
    1991 40' MY DC

aft water tank full?
    Formally Top Hatt and Tails
    1980 53MY

1/2 full; but again, I assume that Hatteras did not design a boat where rainwater drainage depends on full tanks.....
    Nigel
    Sarasota, FL
    1991 40' MY DC

Rainwater damage is not a design feature but if the aft deck is sloping towards the helm I wonder if you're weight is an issue. My 43 no matter what tanks may be full empty or whatever always drains to the stern. If there was a lot of weight in the bow, or little weight in the stern it would contribute to doing this. I can't imagine the deck being slooped to the bow, although I'm not familar with your boat. Bill
    Bill Allen 1973 43 dc
    Brielle N.J.

The boat sits in the water exactly as it should. The water is collecting in the enclosure under the helm on the fly bridge - the side benches are storage units with simple lift up tops, so it's no surprise that water gets in there. I just figure that it must be meant to run off somewhere.....
    Nigel
    Sarasota, FL
    1991 40' MY DC

On my 43C, there is in fact a "drain". I had water accumulation; found this drain; cleaned it and no more accumulation.

My boat has an access port on the starboard side on the bridge near the helm station. The "chase" for the wires is there. I was able to reach in and found debris (moist) which I removed thereby freeing the drain.

As a result, I looked on the port side and found a similar drain.

By "drain", I mean a hole that allowed the water to escape once there was sufficient accumulation.

Makes sense! How far forward are your drains? and are they right out towards the sides? My problem is that I can't see anything under there, the access is pretty tight on the 40'....
    Nigel
    Sarasota, FL
    1991 40' MY DC

I have a similar problem with my 43 DCMY. There is a side scupper in the toe rail near the entrance gate, as well as scuppers in both corners of the aft deck. Problem is that in a heavy rain the scuppers don't drain the water fast enough unless the bow is way up, so the water pools up on the aft deck. the water drains off eventually, but it's a real pain. I know others with early 43's have the same problem. I would say that there is very little crown on the back third of the aft deck. I have not yet been able to solve the problem, but I know other have done so by adding a drain in the toe rail midway down the aft deck. So, I feel your pain.
    Bill Root, USCG 100 Ton Master, Near Coastal
    MV BUFFALO GAL
    1988 54' MY