Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: So SEW me!

So SEW me!

Just looking for some input on some sewing machines. Its been about 35 years since Ive done any sewing... as in custom hot rod stuff etc, and would like to pick it up again. I am looking at several machines but dont want a unit that does all the button hole stitching and fancy embroidery stuff etc.
    I am hoping Daryl and Ange pipe up here. Its a travesty in Chicago to get a job done and not be had in the process... "you cant rape the willing". ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

Re: So SEW me!

For canvas, look at the ones at www.sailrite.com
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

sailright has everything. Go for the blue machine and attachments
    Daryl Hollis
    1965 34'DCMY Hull # 33

http://s940.photobucket.com/albums/a...albumview=grid

4. Re: So SEW me!

Search Sam's for some prior recommendations...maybe try EBAY for a used one.
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

Not to derail your thread Bill, but regarding the Blue Sailrite machine - is this machine too big for the wife to use for things like sewing hems in pants? We don't have a sewing machine and would be nice to have one machine that does it all. I need new cushions for the boat and could be fun winter project.

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    For canvas, look at the ones at www.sailrite.com

I looked. The cheapest they had was $650.00. Little bit above the budget!!!
    Other projects need the money more. ppat
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

Quote Originally Posted by sgharford View Post
    Not to derail your thread Bill, but regarding the Blue Sailrite machine - is this machine too big for the wife to use for things like sewing hems in pants? We don't have a sewing machine and would be nice to have one machine that does it all. I need new cushions for the boat and could be fun winter project.

Are you telling us you have one for sale? Or did you want to go in halves with us or do you want Bill to make you new cushions? Bill just headed out to the boats to put in some hard work. I have things to do at home.
    Regarding ebay....that is the game plan. Bill has been looking on ebay but wanted some input on brands and the such. ppat
    Last edited by yachtsmanbill; 12-28-2009 at 09:18 AM. Reason: wwww
    yachtsmanWILLY

I think what Yachtsmanwillie is asking about is a home sewng machine (dressmaker's machine) rather than a canvas machine since he mentioned button-hole stuff. I have three machines myself. One is old basic Kenmore I bought for $170 back in 1982. Still works great and never had a problem with it. It's heavier than most as it has a metal body where today's machines are plastic. I do most of my light sewing on this - curtains/bedding. I break out the Sailright to sew the pinch pleats in the drapes though - the Kenmore just won't push that much fabric through.

Next, I have a White overlock machine (bought around 1991) which which sews, cuts, and puts a finished edge on a seam all in a single swipe - the kind of seam found on store-bought clothes. This is a specialty machine that runs on four spools of thread at the same time, and it does not take the place of the other machines.

Then, I have the red Sailrite canvas machine. Red is straight stitch only; blue does zig-zag, too. I didn't get the blue since I never saw myself ever stitching sails. I'm told you can load this up with regular thread, change out the needle, and make clothing on it too - you can turn this into dressmaker's machine without all of the bells and whistles of a traditional dressmaker's machine which does specialty stitches, buttonholes, etc.

From what you have described, it sounds to me like you would be best served with a Sailrite machine, or one like it. You can sew canvas with it, and make curtains and bedding if you like. I've been happy with all of my machines and have no experience with any others since these have been trouble free since the day I bought each of them. I have used them a lot, too.

When I bought my Sailrite, my mother, at the same time and not knowing I had just bought the Sailrite, had purchased a commercial machine (brand I cannot recall at the moment) for me. It does canvas and upholstry too. She would like to sell it - it's brand new and still in the box. By the time she had it in her hands, I was already sewing away with my Sailrite and didn't need it. I'll ask her what she want for it if anyone is interested.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Angela, find out the brand and her cost. Put Bill on the list first of interested buyers! We may be taking a trip south in the next month or so and could possibly pick it up. Thanks, ppat
    yachtsmanWILLY

Quote Originally Posted by sgharford View Post
    Agree that the Sailrites are big, noisy (compared to dressmaker's machines). They take some getting used to when you're sewig things like clothing. I don't believe there is a machine out there that will give you the best of both worlds - be delicate and an iron horse at the same time. This is why I keep three machines on board. A dressmaker's machine won't do cushions and some levels of drapery-making well. I've tried!! If I could reduce my three machines into one and be happy with the function, I'd do it in a heartbeat to get rid of two heavy items on the boat. But so far, that's only been a dream in my head.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com