Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Galley Maid Head Question

My master head GM toilet acts like it is sucking air and losing it's prime when pumped. I have recently replaced the pump and stators. There is plenty of intake water but after 5-8 seconds of pumping the water starts to back up and fill the bowl. I have to plunge the toilet to force water into the pump to get it to drain. There is no blockage downstream of the pump as I put a guage on the line to check. Any ideas?

2. Re: Galley Maid Head Question

In trouble situations like this when seeking adive, it is best to first state all the symptoms and observations you make...so you can replicate as much as possible what we would observe were we present....then state the actions you have already taken which often eliminates some possible solutions.

Miximg your analysis of the situation with observations confuses what may be happening....and may easily mislead those tyrying to assist.

What do you mean "acts like it is sucking air".... when the bowl is full?? Are you describing what you think is causing the bowl to fill or are you observing such a sound?? In general, any loose water hose connection which might admit air during pumping should leak water out when the toilet is idle,right???

I don't know Galley Maid explicity, but only two things I know of that causes water to back up assuming it used to pump out normally: a blocked or kinked discharge line, like maybe growth at the exhaust thru hull ( mussels or barnacles) or a weak discharge pump. Can you observe between the bowl and the first discharge mechanism (like macerator blade) to be sure there is nothing blocing water flow into the mechanism??? Its not unheard of for something to fall into a toilet, maybe slide off a countertop, and become lodged blocking water discharge flow.

Did you check the discharge pump housing and impeller?? in other words,s omething like a worn cam (eccentric) or broken impeller or macerator blade can reduce pumping capacity.

As a matter of interest, how did you "put a gauge on the line" and what results did you observe.
    Last edited by REBrueckner; 01-01-2010 at 10:21 AM.
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

Re: Galley Maid Head Question

Okay, thanks, let me try again. If you flush the head on the first try, it flushes fine. Flushing a second time (holding the button 5-8 secs), the bowl starts to fill up the bowl. Only water comes in and none goes out. Now with the bowl full, you must use a plunger to get the pump to evacuate the bowl. There are no obvious leaks around the bowl or the lines going to the pump.

The pump and stators (worms) are new this summer.

I installed a pressure guage on the discharge side of the pump to measure for any blockage to the tank or overboard. The guage only read 10 psi or less during the flush cycle. I am guessing that is normal or nearly so.

Hope this helps.

Was the stator new? If it has sat around for a while, it can get stiff and not pump right. It could also have a crack in it. I would first check and/or replace that stator and see if that takes care of the problem.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

It does sound like a stator problem to me, too. I had a head with a fairly new pump. It did not get used regularly and I had to replace the stator to get it working again. Likewise, I had a brand new pump, used once upon installation. Sat for over a year and I had to replace the guts in that one too. I have the one I used all the time, and never a problem. That stator is at least 3 years old. So, my point is that age and use or lack of use can greatly affect the condition of the stator. I used to think that because it never got used, it was still "new". Also, if flushing with saltwater, if the head has been sitting, it will build up with a calcium/concrete-like "rock" inside and mess up the water flow. I've only got 2 galleymaids left on my boat so I do have to do battle with them every now and then. I just went through the same symptoms you are describing and it was the stator on the discharge end.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

One of our GM heads will lose all of the water out of the bowl after a period of four to five days. It primes and flushes fine. What is the problem? Thanks.