Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wireless from House to Boat

Lilly Marie is docked about 150 feet from the house where there is cable internet access. I connected a CISCO/Linksys wireless router thinking I could then use a notebook computer on the boat. The house is elevated and the router about 20 feet above sea level. No signal shows up when the notebook is on the boat or even under the house. I have to take the compter in the house before I get a signal.

Any suggestions on what I should do? Wireless on the boat is not a big deal, and I'm not inclined to go to any big expense, but it would be convenient.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks
    Vincent
    Lilly Marie 43 DC

Re: Wireless from House to Boat

The product below is what you need.

http://www.hawkingtech.com/products/...105&ProdID=394

We put this in our beach house to extend the range of the wireless network around the property, including access to a guest house on the property that's about 300' away.

To get the best distance, place this unit beside a window closest to your boat, but make sure your still within good/very good signal range from the main wireless router (it won't boost the signal any higher than what it's receiving). For example, if you place the range extender at the window and it's receiving a 60% signal strength from the router, it will boost 60%.

It's a great unit, very easy to set up and has performed flawlessly for us for over a year. Plus, it's very inexpensive ($109.00).

You'll be happy with it....

As a sidenote, I'm about the install this unit on my boat. Why? Well, the boat receives wireless from the marina and I thought it would be a nice idea to give the transients who are anchored around me wireless access. I'm mounting it under the flybridge console where I've already got an outlet + it will be up high enough to rebroadcast the marina's signal a little farther out.

Moving the existing rounter sounds logical but not convenient for me since the cable is on the opposite side of the house from the boat, The Hawk sounds exactly like what I'm looking for.
    Thanks for the advice,
    Vincent

It looks even better than Tucker said.
    I checked Amazon and they have the recommened unit for $69, and I get free 2nd day shipping with Amazon Prime. ( The prime membership has been a great deal for me)

However I see where there is a little more expensive unit, "Hawking Hi-Gain USB Wireless-300N Access Point/Bridge" for $90. Life is full of tough choices.

Any idea how you decide if more (money) is better? Electronics specs is a foreign language to me.

Thanks,
    Vincent

Both would serve you well, but the one I linked you to (and available on-line a little cheaper), is really all you need. Save the $30 for some 32v light bulbs!

Thanks,
    I ordered the cheaper one and hope to set it up Saturday, if it is not too cold here. It is expected to be in the teens on the MS gulf coast.

I'll report and see how it works.

I noticed that Hawking makes some interesting looking unidirectional antenna which sell for less than $100, and generally work well naccording to the reviews posted on Amazon. Hope I don't need that but folks who can only work from the receiving end of a wireless router might be interested.
    Regards,
    Vincent

Quote Originally Posted by Vincentc View Post
    It looks even better than Tucker said.
    I checked Amazon and they have the recommened unit for $69, and I get free 2nd day shipping with Amazon Prime. ( The prime membership has been a great deal for me)

However I see where there is a little more expensive unit, "Hawking Hi-Gain USB Wireless-300N Access Point/Bridge" for $90. Life is full of tough choices.

Any idea how you decide if more (money) is better? Electronics specs is a foreign language to me.

Thanks,
    Vincent
    You definitely get what you pay for with wireless repeaters. Business/commercial quality ones are closer to $800...so I would not expect a lot out of the cheaper one. Now I have heard very good things about their higher end on: http://www.hawkingtech.com/products/...105&ProdID=400

Also the lesser ones you are considering have no security...
    Dave
    "Saraswati" - 1980 53MY
    Galesville, MD

Oops, saw that you already ordered...well, let us know how it works...if the cheap one works well, I may snag one too. lol
    Dave
    "Saraswati" - 1980 53MY
    Galesville, MD

Just hooked up the Hawking extender, and am using it now.
    It works fine. Reception went from none to very good.
    Thanks for the good advice.
    Regards,
    Vincent

Glad it worked out! Its an inexpensive easy fix. Technology is a great thing!!