Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: 53 Convertible Tunnel Hull

Pretty sure it was 1976 when they increased fuel and restyled the bridge, but not 100%
    Jack Sardina

Still popular today. Speed is the game. Here a some pix of a late model 50 something Hatt SF:

Here's Grand Banks' approach on one of their 59 Aleutians:

Here's SeaRay's approach, again on a mid-50's length boat. Overall this boat has a very flat bottom:

George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

the photos below show a 1978 53C that is on yachtworld.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1978.../United-States

i don't know if the slight curvature above the props at the stern qualifies as a 'prop pocket' but the earlier 53c's don't show the same curvature.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboat View Post
    the photos below show a 1978 53C that is on yachtworld.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1978.../United-States

i don't know if the slight curvature above the props at the stern qualifies as a 'prop pocket' but the earlier 53c's don't show the same curvature.
    I don't think that would qualify as a prop pocket, but if you look at some of the other pictures above, you'll see what I mean about these almost being a suface drive-type set-up which definitely results in higher speeds than a traditional set-up. That's why cup is so critical on a Sea Ray and probably on the others as well.

I'm sure there is margin for error with the folks at Hatteras, but I would think something as significant as adding prop pockets would be well documented.

I did a search of all the 53Cs on Yachtworld and the draft for every one I checked was listed as 4'. Guess that closes this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by tpld3 View Post
    I did a search of all the 53Cs on Yachtworld and the draft for every one I checked was listed as 4'. Guess that closes this thread.
    Don't trust anything you find on YW. Most brokers or their staff just cut and paste the specs from the Powerboat Guide or they copy some other broker's listing.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by tpld3 View Post
    the draft is the same because the keel is below the props in both boats. The pockets on the hatt pictured are deeper forward. they are more pronounced than the picture is showing. Ditto what Sky said.
    Jack Sardina