Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: So SEW me!

Re: So SEW me!

There's gotta be millions of old Singer's around for cheap (or free) that were all metal, will last forever and do everything you need for this purpose...
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

the great thing about the sailrite is the ability to sew one to two stiches at a click. The other machines are good and will do the job, but don't have the controllablility of the sailrite. The clucth drives on some has already been described. Tough to sew fast when you are thinking slow, slow, slower, LOL.

The blue machine has the capability of the zigzag as well as the straight lock stitch. There are times when you need one or the other types of stitching. (think curves, windows, zippers.) For the difference I would still get the blue machine.

When looking for machines before starting my projects, cost, walking foot, material thickness, straight as well as zigzag, the ability to get all the attachements you need plus all the materials and supplies......Sailrite popped on top every time. As soon as I can sell my commercial machine it will be spent on the blue machine. MTCW
    Daryl Hollis
    1965 34'DCMY Hull # 33

http://s940.photobucket.com/albums/a...albumview=grid

Quote Originally Posted by mobilemn1 View Post
    the great thing about the sailrite is the ability to sew one to two stiches at a click. The other machines are good and will do the job, but don't have the controllablility of the sailrite. The clucth drives on some has already been described. Tough to sew fast when you are thinking slow, slow, slower, LOL.

The blue machine has the capability of the zigzag as well as the straight lock stitch. There are times when you need one or the other types of stitching. (think curves, windows, zippers.) For the difference I would still get the blue machine.

When looking for machines before starting my projects, cost, walking foot, material thickness, straight as well as zigzag, the ability to get all the attachements you need plus all the materials and supplies......Sailrite popped on top every time. As soon as I can sell my commercial machine it will be spent on the blue machine. MTCW

You are SWAN !! Whats the machine you have for sale?? ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

four hundred bucks
    Daryl Hollis
    1965 34'DCMY Hull # 33

http://s940.photobucket.com/albums/a...albumview=grid

Bill,

The one my mother bought for me that I never used (because I bought the Sailrite at the same time she bought me this one) is the Singer CG590. It looks like it's $300 new. http://www.sewvacdirect.com/singcg590.html
    http://www.sewingmachineoutlet.com/singercg590.htm

I read great reviews on this machine, and heck, maybe I DO want it to replace my dressmaker machine! I cannot find anywhere where Singer claims that it will sew things like multiple layers of canvas. I was hoping to find some users' comments to that effect. The "commercial" aspect of it seems to be on the speed (it's fast!), motor strength, and the stitching options - it's more pimped up than I thought it was. But from what I'm reading, I'm getting the impression this is still a dressmaker's machine and would do well making pinch pleated drapes and seat cushions. I'm not yet convinced that it would take the place of the sailmaker machine. Not having sewn with it, I hesitate to say that it would sew a several layers of Sunbrella with a clear panel of window vinyl in there - I just don't know. Before I bought my Sailrite machine, I sewed just that in the store, so I KNEW it was capable of the project I had for it.

I did find the red Sailrite machine for $450. http://www.sewingmachineoutlet.com/saills1.htm
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Hey, note to YB! If you live up on the Chicago area, then maybe you could sweet-talk Sailrite down on the price, if you drove down to their site and picked up the sewing machine. They are in the tiny town of in Churubusco, Indiana at the crossroads of Highway 33 and State Road 9 where they have an outlet. (or used to). Also, you can drool over lots of neat maritime type stuff there...canvas, snaps, fasteners, tools and tooling, a big loft table, (more canvas), etc.
    Last edited by spartonboat1; 12-30-2009 at 08:54 PM. Reason: update
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

Sailrite closed all of their stores except for the main one:

Sailrite Enterprises, Inc.
    4506 S. State Rd. 9
    Churubusco, IN 46723

Matt Grant is the go-to guy (owner). He's friendly, knowledgeable, helpful, etc. They do offer sales on their machines from time to time, especially around boat show time. You could probably get the usual 10% discount just for the asking. Matt has given me some unadvertised discounts in the past just for the asking. Matt@sailrite.com

They'll be at the Strictly Sail portion of the Chicago Boat Show in late January.
    Last edited by Angela; 12-29-2009 at 11:32 PM.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"

Ang, About 5 or 6 years ago I bought one of the blue sailrite machines and a bunch of thread, snaps and several boxes of other stuff. It was an impulse purchase because I was p.o.ed at the waiting time for my local canvas shop to do some work for me and I thought to hell with it, I'll do it myself. Well, I no sooner had the machine and he came through with my completed job. I still have the machine and have never used it. Actually I have never even plugged it in but I would love to be able to use it for an occasional small job. My question is, how hard would it be to learn to use it? When I was in High School (almost 60 years ago) I re-upholstered the interior of my Ford convertible using my mothers old (even then) foot powered Singer machine and it worked fine, but those old foot pumpers were easy to control since it only went as fast as you pumped. Another thing was that I had a lot more patience then as compared to now.

Walt

Walt, it's like any other sewing machine. I didn't notice any difference in "how to use it" from that of my dressmaker's machine. Even threading it was pretty much the same; tension setting is the same, etc.

If you remind me next time you're here, I'll bring it up to the galley and let you sew some scraps together....and then I'll let you make a new cover for our dinghy, and perhaps the flybridge enclosure.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"

Sounds like a deal to me, especially since I have a tendency to get antsy after a couple of days. Thanks

Walt