Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: So SEW me!

Re: So SEW me!

Quote Originally Posted by yachtsmanbill View Post
    Angela, find out the brand and her cost. Put Bill on the list first of interested buyers! We may be taking a trip south in the next month or so and could possibly pick it up. Thanks, ppat

I've already sent her an email.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Holy Cow!! the sailrite machines have gone way up! I have the red one and i don't think I paid 400 for it in '01/02!! It is a great machine! I redid the interior of my house boat with it.

Ok, get the Sailrite Blue...will sew light aluminum sheet metal. Get the steel flywheel to help drive through heavy multi-layers of canvas.

We (I watched, the Admiral sewed) made a custom cover over the entire boat for winter storage of our 43'DC. Ok, covers 50%, not the flybridge or the foredeck (yet). Has stood up to 60-70mph winds in winter.

P.s., do not try to move the machine with one arm...must use two...too heavy!
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

I think the only difference between Red and blue machines is the blue does zig zag stitching. A double straight stictch is as strong or stronger than a zig zag. boating related I think the only time you would use zig zag is on a rag boat sail.

Check out this one I have heard that they work o.k
    Don't think it has the walking foot though.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=3914
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

Sailrite is a great machine, but opted for a smaller, lighter but strong Elna SU portable. Which is built using metal parts in Geneva, Switzerland. Most sunbrella we've sewn is four layers repairing the Bimini. Also made salon curtains and various other household sewing projects.

Ang, sounds to me like you could start a new business!

I'm getting a visual of Bill sitting behind a sewing machine. Wow it really is a brave new world!!!

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by labrador View Post
    Ang, sounds to me like you could start a new business!
    Angela's sewing work on her boat is EXQUISITE. No 2 ways about it.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

I bought an old Singer 241 high speed model for $80. from a rental center. It will sew anything you want. I made all new seat covers, bridge curtains, window covers, etc with it. It will only do straight stitching, nothing fancy and it is very fast. Too fast for me. I put a smaller pulley on it to slow it down but it's still too fast. It has a huge motor on it and a clutch drive. The only way to control the speed is by adjusting the pressure on the petal. A little to hard and you have 500 stitches too much. I'm used to it now and am able to slow stitch. Ron