Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: WiFi Antenna

WiFi Antenna

Can anyone give me any recomendations on a WiFi antenna. My employer is going to allow me to work out of my boat since we sold the house. Close on Jan 29th. They are keeping me on a retainer so I need Internet to get to my computer at the office. I've seen antennas with range of 1 to 5 miles but have no clue which ones are good or bad. Any suggenstions will be apprecaited.
    Thanks,
    captbuddy

Re: WiFi Antenna

Where is the wifi you are trying to get to?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Well, the first is at the marina. Currently have to go up to common area to get on or use the marina's computer. But I was looking to use it while I'm on the hook, say a couple of miles from a pick up. Nothing set in stone right now except the marina one.
    Thanks,
    captbuddy

I have a verizion broadband access for my laptop that is a separate service and works like a cellular. It had a remote antenna option which I put on the bridge and it has always been OK..
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Thanks Bob. Was trying to get set up to get free wifi when available. Just trying to keep cost down.
    Thanks again,
    captbuddy

Check out Port Networks...very good stuff. http://shopping.netsuite.com/pnstore
    Dave
    "Saraswati" - 1980 53MY
    Galesville, MD

Thanks Dave. Will check them out also.
    captbuddy

8. Re: WiFi Antenna

You can post your question also on Trawlers and Trawlering...there are many electronic experts on that forum, many live aboard and cruise full time, and likely a search on the site will turn up discussions and recommendations. They used to discuss "free WIFI" cruising locations but many now have security password requirements.
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

Images

captbuddy,

I can’t offer a recommendation as I have not used it myself; however I have been considering one of the Hawkins Technology products for connecting to land-based WiFi. Their new “Hi-Gain Wireless-N Dual Radio Smart Repeater” looks interesting.

http://www.hawkingtech.com/products/...105&ProdID=400

I bought one of their “Wireless-N Access Point or Wireless-N Ethernet Bridge” products; but have not spent enough time to get it set up correctly. In the limited time I spent trying to set it up in wireless bridge mode; it appeared that I needed detailed information from the WiFi I was trying to connect to; such as the routers MAC address and IP configuration details. This is all fine and dandy if it’s my network I’m connecting it to; but since it is not it appeared to be somewhat of a pain. The “Repeater” product mentioned previously may require less work to setup; but I haven’t given up on the one I bought yet to look at it.

Best regards,

Brandon

If you go for that one, make sure you also get the external 15db antenna. I find it slightly suspect that they do not list the wattage of the transmitter/receiver.
    Dave
    "Saraswati" - 1980 53MY
    Galesville, MD