Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: 53 Motor Yacht in Georgetown MD ???

I beleive those guys are correct i saw a 54 BURTON sportfish sell indivigal to indivigal for less than 200000 and was a 8 on a scale of 1 to 10 it is definately a byers market.
    If you decide to give jarret bay a ride contact Ben Green he is in the Beauford office good hunting
    Last edited by Tim Powell; 12-27-2009 at 09:42 PM.

Ditto the above advice. Let the 5 pm deadline pass and look at the other boats. Its December and they're aren't going to be any/many buyers lined up especially here in VA and MD. I did the same several months ago and was very pleased with the outcome (thanks again Eric!).

There have been many discussions surrounding using a buyers broker and I really don't have a strong opinion one way it another. I did however buy mine without one and was very pleased with the transaction. If you are considering using one, I'd highly recommend interviewing a few. The "bar" is set pretty low and the best will become apparent quickly. I would also look for one whom supports and actively participates in this forum. There are a couple of true EXPERT brokers here who don't advertise vocally, but have built a nice business through their years of experience, especially with Hatts.

I still say call the respective brokers, ask a few questionss (let them know you're a serious buyer) and then visit the boats in MD. its a quick trip and if you know anything about Hatts, you can sort them out pretty quickly.

Good luck. If you'd like a good broker name, PM me and I'll gladly give you one, so as not to use the forum as a bill board for advertising.

Went to see Hooch and was not impressed

Hi Labrador:

I went to look at Hooch as and was shocked at how poorly represented she was by the current broker who seems to little if anything about the boat. A lazy guy who won't even bother to go down and poke around the boat. The owner should have kept her listed with Bob Star at VA Yacht Brokers!

My impression is that the boat is in decent but not great condition. I am perplexed by a few minor repairs that have not been attended to. This makes my wonder about major things that are not clearly visible such as engine and systems condition. Given that a full blown survey and mechancial review will run close to $2,500 + on a 53 it makes no sense to go through the process with one of these only to have a sale rejected due to a poor survey / inspection outcome.

Spin

Hooch has been listed with quite a few brokers over the last couple years. I believe the owner bought a waterfront home several years ago and no longer uses the boat so maybe it appears neglected, however, when I saw it in Deltaville a couple years back it looked pretty good. I would agree with Eric on 6 Reasons and it's impeccable. Been under shed in Georgetown for a long time.

Scott:

I agree that Hooch was ok. But the best boat to buy is clearly the one in the best condition. Negotiate on that boat and one will most likely be a lot happier.

I have redone three boats (major refits) over the past 15 years. I am not doing it again. The prices at the yards have risen to such a level that it is hard to justify buying a boat for say $125k rather than $200k if you have to lay what you think is 75K which turns into 125K +. I had this happen on the last job at Hinckley where the estimate of 85K turned into 145K ouch!

Spin

Hooch has been for sale at least 4 years. It needs a complete paint job, update galley, dodger boards, electronics, stress cracks all over and redecorating to just get started. I figure that you would spend at least $125,000. It's a shame to see someone let a nice old 53 go like this.

These old gals are all getting, well, old. The boats we're discussing here are all 25+ years. Spin is absolutely correct in that the cost of refit today is prohibitive. It makes sense to buy the best of the best, even if it seems like the price is high. When you start putting a pencil to paper on doing the math for what some of these boats need done, the repair cost total very quickly eclipses the current market value.

Look for the best condition, best equipped and updated boat you can find, then try to buy it for the best price you can. There will be your best overall value.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Eric

Have you taken a look at the 1987 53 in the Annapolis area with the ash interior? How would you rate her? You can send a private email to me if you wish.

Spin