Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Headliner Cost

Headliner Cost

How much does it cost to have a new headliner professionally installed in a 58'?

I have fooled around with this sort of thing in a car and have reached the conclusion that I have no business doing it in a nice boat.
    1974 Chris Craft Roamer 60'

Re: Headliner Cost

I have replaced most of the headliner on the Tightspot and it was not nearly as hard as I thought. I used the "pleather" type material streached in the same way as original.

My friend billy (Big Bill) has a 58yf that the PO put white FRP panels with wood trim to cover the seams. Looks good and cleans easy, if you look him up I think he has some salon pics where you can see it.
    "In a country well governed; poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed; wealth is something to be ashamed of." -- Confucius

I have no idea what it would cost to have it done, but I did my salon a few years ago. It's not that hard, but it is work. Take a look at this thread to see some pictures.

http://www.samsmarine.com/forums/sho...adliner&page=6

This is what the completed job looked like:

Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

4. Re: Headliner Cost

I've done some headliner on a prior boat and it is definitely a two person job...you really need four hands at times. Apparently the hidden seam style typical on Hatts is not difficult to repeat I have been told, but I never did it myself. Mine was the style with covering strips of varnished mahogany, a look I personally like....someone on Sam's posted a picture of such a job here on Sam's...and that approach is not complicated...but all those wood strips, finish and drilling is time consuming.

An alternative is to use a hard surface material right over the old headliner...like "formica" coutertop surfacing material...I used that outside in a cockpit one time to replace the soft liner and loved it...very easy to sponge off and keep clean...worked for about 15 years. But in an entire interior salon surface style selection is important...a gloss surface looks "hard" and might create more echo depending on curtains, rugs and other sound absorbing materials present.

A compromise might be to buy the traditional; soft headliner material yourself, hire someone with experience and the understanding that you will be the assistant and mitigate costs that way. You can also ask the pro installer if you can remove the old liner first and if the pieces removed are of any use to him/her for possible fitting....pros have to charge for their time and if you can help them reduce it they can pass savings along to you and get some work they may well need during an off season.

Check Defender online in CT for their price...they used to have good value...
    Last edited by REBrueckner; 12-23-2009 at 08:44 AM.
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

You asked specifically about costs involved. The PO of Kismet had the headliners redone several years ago and I have all the records. Unfortunately, they're on the boat and I wont be on her until next week. I'll make a point to pull them and PM you the details. I know it was done in Ft Lauderdale, but the yard escapes me at the moment.

I was quoted 3000 for the salon of my 41 conv. I thought that was way overpriced, so we did it ourselves. It took a good day to do the salon with a total of 3 people. I did the head myself and it took a day. One piece at a time and it is not too bad. The hardest thing seems to be putting on the hidem strip where there is no valences. Sams has it for 9.50 a yard. Very good stuff and easy to work with.

Headliner material is available from Sams or Sailrite.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by OBXTucker View Post
    You asked specifically about costs involved. The PO of Kismet had the headliners redone several years ago and I have all the records. Unfortunately, they're on the boat and I wont be on her until next week. I'll make a point to pull them and PM you the details. I know it was done in Ft Lauderdale, but the yard escapes me at the moment.
    Thanks, that will be some good info.

I will refer my headliner person (whoever that is) to Sams.
    1974 Chris Craft Roamer 60'

I replaced my old headliner five year ago. I used a contractor in Fort Lauderdale that specializes in headliners. He knew what he was doing. I installed through out my 58 Yachtfish removable panels with a covering of smooth leatherette material. Very pretty and easy to clean. The cost was appox. $ 8000, he did a very professional job. That was his only business building and installing headliners. He built a new support system to hold the panels. He then made templates that he adjust until they fix perfectly. He took these panels back to his shop and built them out of marine plywood and wrapped them with the Naugahyde. The panels are then attached to the support system with a heavy duty velcro system. They are easy to remove for working in the ceiling, and no there has never been an incident of one coming down in rough weather. Today they still look new.

One thing I disliked about the Hatteras was how poor the lighting was. During the time the contractor had the headliner removed I installed 40+ halogen lights on dimmers. The headliner guy cut hole for the lights and I installed then. Now when I say give me light, I have brilliant light. The ambiance of the dimmers adds a very updated light scheme to the vessel.

You can also paint the old headliner. One of our boat club members did this; just masked it off, and used a roller and latex interior paint. Very low-budget fix, but it's looked fine for years. The boat (Magnolia) is still in the club. All the holes still show, too.