Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reduce "station wagon effect"

Does anyone have experience with reducing exhaust fumes entering the cockpit or aft deck? Many newer boats have exhaust exiting on the sides near the stern and some have deflectors on stern exhausts, directing gases to the sides. Have any of you folks tried converting to these options? The pilot station on our 43' DC gets pretty gassy even with a couple of canvas panels open, especially in head winds.
    Thanks - Will

Re: Reduce "station wagon effect"

Will, do you have gas engines in that 43? The reason I ask is that I saw a 43 Hatt gasser (427's) the other day at Chicago Yacht Yard. When I mentioned that was uncommon, the Yard guy said there were only 5 such animals built.

As to your station wagon problem.. Here's something I tried last year using some stainless elbows. It helps quite a bit. There's a few downsides to doing this, but for me it's worth the fresh air.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXuojVDY9mM

Eric

Yes installing exhaust 'tubes' on the stern which route the water/exhaust off to the side will help a lot, it won't solve the problem under all conditions.

We did this to two of our boats and it helped reduce both with the diesel smell (which I actually like) and the lite coating of soot on the stern after a long run.

The PO of my boat installed larger exhaust pipes/mufflers AND put curved extensions under the swim platform to conduct the exhaust off to the sides. It may have helped, but I still get exhaust odor and sometimes some soot on plastic bags on the aft deck. I usually run with the aft enclosure closed up.

Bob
    Chateau de Mer
    1981 48MY

We had a similiar issue on our last 43 DC. The problem was cured with a modification to the exhaust pipes at the stern. We took the boat to Brickhouse boat yard on Kent Island, MD for the work. It entailed accessing the exhausts (8") under the dressers port and stb in the aft master SR. The "tail" pipe that runs from the muffler through the stern was cut a couple of feet forward of the stern and a new elbow was fabricated from exhaust grade fiberglass tube. Large oval holes were cut out of the hull at the proper height on port and stb sides and the newly fabricated elbows were fiberglassed to the hull using very large fillets inside and outside the hull. The exterior was critical because the flow of water needed to be slightly diverted outward therefore the leading edges were shaped accordingly. Mike Stein of Brickhouse did a perfect job of designing the whole thing because when the job was complete we had achieved exactly what we wanted. The exhaust was blown outward sufficiently to enter the slip stream. By the time it started curling back into the vacuum created by the forward motion of the boat, the boat was well forward of it. The only problem with the whole thing was that the exhaust sound was slightly louder to occupants of the aft deck.

Oh, by the way the old openings on the stern were glassed in and finished. A close inspection cannot show that it didn't leave the factory that way.

Walt

Thanks to all who replied. It looks like it's worth further research.

To smoothmove - ours is one of the hundreds of 43s powered by 6-71TIBs.

Will

Will,

I think you mean TI's. TIB's were rated at 485 HP and would never have been approved by the factory for the 43 DC.

Walt

Sorry Walt. But, they really are 485 HP TIBs and were factory installed.
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Sorry Walt. But, they really are 485 HP TIBs and were factory installed.
    Will
    That must have been one of the very last ones built. What year? 1984?
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

10. Re: Reduce "station wagon effect"

On occasions when some fumes have come aboard from the aft, opening a windshield window or side doors to catwalks pushes them right away.
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.