Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Earl Haul-Outs

Earl Haul-Outs

So I have about 6 hours to make a decision on whether to haul-out and get on the schedule for tomorrow morning.

So here are the choices:

A. Spend $1,000, haul-out, be safe and miss out on cruising this weekend (have a bunch of guests coming for Labor Day weekend)

B. Lash her down good and hope the tidal surge isn't too bad. Risk a denied claim from the insurance company if more than $5k in damage is incurred.

Anyone along the Outer Banks or Chesapeake have plans to Haul-Out??

Re: Earl Haul-Outs

Hi Jeff-
    We are in Rock Hall, MD (Eastern Shore) and don't plan on hauling out. I may change my mind if the track gets closer but right now I'm going to just watch it.
    Skip
    Mad Hatteras
    53 MY

I drink because of Navy football

if i was on the outer banks i will seriously consider hauling out... up the Chesie, you should be ok in the water as long as you can prepare the boat to handle higher tides, unless the later forecasts are moved further west.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Is there an option C? Maybe move the boat inland further to be safe?
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

"Inland" is about 1/2 a mile further up the creek, which is where she may end up, if she's not secured properly.

My biggest concern is that the pilings on the dock (starboard) side are not very high. She's docked nose first alongside a dock. Storm surges will probably push her away from the dock and potentially lift the lines over the pilings. If the pilings were taller (and substantial enough), I wouldn't be concerned at all. We have a significant battery of large lines, chafe gear, fenders, etc. to secure/protect her.

Should she break loose, she would probably take out the entire port side pier and accompanying slips/sailboats, which are only about 30' away.

Decisions, decisions.....

tic toc.....

how wide is the slip?

this is critical, if your slip is wide enough then you can use longer lines to make up for higher water level and you can also keep the boat off the pilings.

you also need to consider which way the boat should be facing. Prevailing winds should be coming from the ENE to E as the storm passes offshore so depending on the slip orientation, you may want to turn the boat around so that the bow faces E (or N).

if the storm stays offshore as forecasted, i woudn' anticipate a serious surge in the Chesie, winds shouldn't not be strong enough to push that much water on teh east side of the bay, at least not to be a serious danger to a properly tied boat.

you need to look at your slip, orientation, width, etc... adn decide what is best. lines will not slip up the pilings if properly tied, the biggest risk is rubbing against the pilings if the slip is too narrow and if the pilings are too low damaging the hull side since the pilings may not reach the rub rail
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Ya dont wana endup like this
    Attached Images
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

once they issue a storm warning for your state your insurance may cover hurricane haul out and splash coverage I would call your broker and have him find out for you better than paying ofr it by yourself

9. Re: Earl Haul-Outs

If you do not have sufficiently-high pilings to prevent being impaled (that are in good enough condition that they will hold) AND a wide-enough slip so you can properly tie for the conditions without being smashed and/or impaled, OR if your location can be exposed to direct wave action over a material amount of fetch in a storm (at the maximum reasonably-expected tidal surge level), if the storm comes and you're there you're screwed.

If it were my boat and I was not safe under the above three conditions I'd move it. If I could not get upriver or otherwise to a secure location where wave action (e.g. surge, etc) was not going to be a factor I'd haul.

But that's me.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

Already spoke with Markel Marine and they are splitting the haulout fee, should I desire to go that route. Boat is 18' wide and we have a 24' slip, so plenty wide, although orientation is wrong. Incoming seas will hit her starboard side. If I can move her over to another slip (a T) and have the bow facing the storm, we'll stay put And ride it out.

Thanks for everyone's advice.