Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sound shield

Sound shield

Have a Northern Lights 16kw genset under the galley on a 1972 53my. Was thinking of using Great Southern Insulation in Fort Lauderdale for a " custom" sound shield. Has anyone had any experience with them or their product?

Re: Sound shield

I used them to make exhaust blankets for a pair of 6V92s. Great people and fair price.
    Good Luck

Whats involved with making one yourself?
    Trav
    45C 447, Series I, '72
    Pensacola, Fl

KNowing something about insulation material is my main problem.

Yea, me too. I was asking more for myself
    Trav
    45C 447, Series I, '72
    Pensacola, Fl

6. Re: Sound shield

It's generally the lower frequency sounds that carry the most sound energy and are the hardest to suppress...that's why the best sound shield material for engines,generators and engine rooms includes a layer of suspended heavy material like lead lining embedded in the lighter insulating material. Defender Industries used to sell such material for do it yourself insulation so a check at their website might turn up some good material.
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

Rob,

Good info.

Thanks- Larry

i'm thinking out loud here while listening to the generator Larry is talking about, and i wonder if you couldnt' do a sound insulation "curtain" on a 53...

if you have the right insulation material, you could attach it to the underside of the galley floor, above the the genny. attach a rectangle frame around that piece (using alum square tube, 1x1), then attach 4 vertical panels that will extend to the floor. May not be as efficient as a real sound shield, but maybe worth a try.

when i get back i'll take a look at the material NL uses... we have two NL20s on the boat i run and one insulation panel is off (needs to be re glued.. they all come loose after a while...)
    Last edited by Pascal; 12-09-2009 at 06:41 PM.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by llldks View Post
    KNowing something about insulation material is my main problem.
    There's air born noise (turbo whine is a good example) and structure born noise (engine noise) First make sure your gen set is on very soft mounts with no metal to metal contact. That will kill most of the structure born noise. To kill airborne noise you use a combination of sound absorbing material and a sound blocking material. "soundown" has sheet material with both types of insulation combined and it makes a good lining for a sound shield.

I would not build a hard enclosure they make everything to hard to get to and see. I would use blankets held in place by a tubular frame. This company can make you any size you want
    http://www.acousticalsolutions.com/a...FcZM5Qod3Fxcrg. They make combination blankets in any thickness and size you need with grommets for easy attachment.

Brian

10. Re: Sound shield

It is not the acoustical blanket that works...unless somebody has given it a test ride and knows for sure. My own experience with light weight barriers is that they work about as well as home fiberglass insulation....Ever hear your kids bass music around the house, but not hi note sounds???
    At the site Brian gives, this is the material that really works well:
    AudioSeal™ Drop Tile Ceiling Barrier....note it carries a "mass" for deadening the low frequency noise.....Check carefully and ask questions before ordering.
    Last edited by REBrueckner; 12-10-2009 at 08:42 AM.
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.