Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Hatteras 50 Yacht Fisherman

Please excuse the delay in reposting here but I have been studying all the materials that I could find and now have a few discoveries and questions. But first, I'd like to thank everyone for their responses.

Sky, thanks for leading me to the correct brochure.
    REBrueckner, thanks Rob for sharing information on your 48YF through emails.
    Keith, I would be very interested in seeing photos of your 50YF. In the email you sent me there was a pic attached but I could not open it for some reason. Is the hull anything like the photo I posted in my opening post? The hull in that photo looks like a deep V planning hull whereas other examples I looked at (1968) appear to have a semi displacement hull, more like a MY than a Convertible. Was it different in 1966? Also Keith, do you have 320, 350 or other HP and how many hours at time of rebuild?
    Angela, thanks for pointing out the walk-around side decks, that also is missing in the photo I posted in the opening post. The walk-around side decks and pilot door access is important to me for single handling, I eventually want to be capable of this.
    ThirdHatt, I find it rather amazing only 8 - 50YF's were built and yes, it is proving to be a rare boat to find. I would appreciate any contact info available for the one in your area, whether for sale or not.
    Lumina, please check your PM's, I've sent you a couple prior to your post. I had read all your previous posts and it sounds like you have a very nice 48YF.

My general questions regarding the 50YF are:
    Is the LOA 50'3" with Beam of 15'7" (is this a 1510 hull?) and Draft of 4' correct?
    Height above waterline or Bridge Clearance: 19'6" with mast-up, 12'6" mast down, correct? Is it easy to put the mast down? Is the mast for structural integrity or other purposes?
    I'd really like to know if the hull is deep V or semi displacement and info regarding it's keel.
    And, depending on it's hull, what is it's hull speed or ideal cruising speed?
    Does the 50YF plane and if so, does fuel consumption drop to around 0.5 nmpg?
    I am assuming it's fuel consumption at hull speed to be around 1 nmpg, correct?
    Should the 50YF have stabilizers?
    Thank you in advance for your responses, this model is one of the most difficult to get information on it seems.
    Last edited by SportFishCruising; 12-02-2009 at 10:29 AM.

The 50' was discontinued when they came out with the 53. The 53 and 58 are 1510's. If you like the 50YF, you should also consider the 53YF as there were many more built and they are much the same as the 50.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    The 50' was discontinued when they came out with the 53. The 53 and 58 are 1510's. If you like the 50YF, you should also consider the 53YF as there were many more built and they are much the same as the 50.
    Yeah, I did consider the 53, that's was the beginning of my confusion with the FY, MY, CPMY models. But now that I have my confusion cleared up, I am preferring the older 48YF or if lucky, a 50YF.
    The 53 is a considerable price jump in purchasing & owning. Because it's newer it cost more, going from a 48.6 LOA to a 50.3 is a $500 jump, and from 50.3 to 53 is a $1000 jump on my summer slip, winter dock, hydro and shrinkwrapping costs per year, not to mention fuel & other operating costs. Also, on the 53 I believe there is a shift away from the DD's being naturals and with higher HP's so that is a concern. Plus, I'm a dedicated bachelor so I don't need the extra storage
    (Considering here in Canada, a 50% tax rate.... I save $3,000 in earnings per year with a 48 over the 53 in summer slip, winter dock and shrinkwrap fees alone; our mortgages & boat loans are non-deductable.)
    Last edited by SportFishCruising; 12-02-2009 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lumina View Post
    Hi,
    I have a beautiful 1974 yachtfish. Please ask your questions or send me a PM.
    Hi Gene, thanks for your PM. Wow, you have an excellant history and experience with the 48YF; have you shared that with the rest of the forum? I really appreciate you telling me about it.

Can you and Keith both post photos of your Yacht Fisherman's in this thread as fine examples of Hatteras Classic Heritage?