Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Another AC Question: Programming controls...

I have the newest SMX II controls and cards by Cruiseair along with new air handlers with aux heat and love them. But_ the one thing I don't like is that the fan stays on low ALL the time, even when the compressor is off. I know it helps keep air moving but i'd really like it to cut off all the way when the compressor is off. Is that possible? Maybe a programming or wiring change?
    Dave
    "Saraswati" - 1980 53MY
    Galesville, MD

Re: Another AC Question: Programming controls...

Yes you can change the programming so that the fan shuts off with the compressor...It's very easy to do that part...

The not so easy part is finding a good location for the temp sensor/s in the cabin that gets a good average of overall cabin temp, and no radiant heat from other sources such as sun exposed windows or heat emitting bulkheads.

The sensors have likely been installed in the return air path which does get a good average cabin temp, but as soon as the fan cycles off...They are sensing the temp of the space they are in...Not the cabin temp.

The SMX temp sensors are very sensitive and can read differently just by touching a surface (they can sense as little as 1/8 a degree change) any surface, because they can pick up heat or cold from that surface...To be accurate to cabin temp they must stand out in free air.

Yes you can do what you want with some experimentation of sensor location/s...But then turn the boat around or move slips so that the sun is on another part of the boat and you may loose everything you worked for.
    It's not like a house that does not move...

Most folks that try it go back to the return air continuous fan method...

I can walk you thru the program change if you want to try it...Or it's in your SMXII manual...I first need to know if you actually have the SMXII, SMX IR or the SMX ht...

Steve~

Well, Annapolis Cruiseair did the install but didn't give me any manuals. I have SMXht controls/displays. If anyone can give me instructions on ow to program them so the fan is only one when needed, that would be great.

Oh, how will that work with the aux heat? Fan only come on when the heating elements come on?
    Dave
    "Saraswati" - 1980 53MY
    Galesville, MD

Quote Originally Posted by stormchaser View Post
    Well, Annapolis Cruiseair did the install but didn't give me any manuals. I have SMXht controls/displays. If anyone can give me instructions on ow to program them so the fan is only one when needed, that would be great.

Oh, how will that work with the aux heat? Fan only come on when the heating elements come on?
    You can find your manual for the SMX ht @....oh well I guess I need 15 posts before the forum will let me post a link, but go to Cruisair.com & look for LP-2362 (LP stands for Literature Pack)

The SMX ht does everything the other SMX models do however it programs differently...That info starts on page 14.

I can't honestly answer your aux heat question...We have no need for aux heat in Florida so I have not seen the SMX ht operate with aux heat...Anything I might say would be a guess without seeing how it's wired in...My feeling is you should be fine to try it, but be mindful...

You should be able to call your dealer for the info & a hard copy of your manuals.

Steve~

We also have the SMX II controls with the aux resistive heat. From experience I can tell you that when using the resistive heat coils, you must keep the fan running constantly, as if you allow the fan to stop at the same time the heat element power shuts off, the elements will overheat and self destruct. The heat elements need some cool down period after power is removed. Not sure if you can have a different fan setup for the two different heat modes. BTW, I only use the aux heat mode. It is quieter, and avoids the higher compressor head pressure required in heat mode. Long live those compressors

Pete

Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

I set my a/c up to have the fan cut on and off with the comp. and didn't like it and changed it back. When you are trying to sleep the fan will wake you up coming on and off all night long. I would leave the setting alone.