Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Diesel Kleen

Diesel Kleen

I just finished my annual oil and oil and fuel filter changes on my 43 Open. I followed my usual practice of filling the primaries with Diesel Kleen as well as topping the Racors with it as well. I usually do this and do not take the boat out again until the Spring. I did not give it another thought until yesterday when the weather was so nice, I just had to take a ride. My last ride was about ten days ago (light on fuel) and the boat felt like it needed the bottom cleaned. I did not give it another thought until yesterday, when, full of fuel, it appeared to me that I had picked up at least a half a knot and the engines seemed smooth as silk. I contacted my diver and he confirmed he had not cleaned the boat since my last ride and that the last time it was cleaned was almost one month ago. So, I got to thinking. Is it possible that the Diesel Kleen could account for the increase in speed and seemingly smoother running engines? I know that advertising is just that but is it possible that it is true?

Re: Diesel Kleen

I am a firm believer in the silver Diesel Kleen. I too fill my racors with it when I change filters to keep injectors, fuel pumps, etc clean and properly lubricated.

One of the things that it does well but they do not advertise is to stabilize the fuel. I have added a double-dose to every fuel fill up for many years now, even in tanks that may sit for years and no fuel issues ever. Knock on wood!

I use it instead of bio-bore or other algae killing additives that tend to clog filters. The Diesel Kleen has managed to prevent algae growth, up the cetane rating and keep the diesel clean and ready to be burned whenever it is called upon.

I wish they still made the 96oz containers!

I've used Diesel Kleen for years with good results, however, an old diesel mechanic recommended this http://www.performanceproducts4benz....-_-P99-076-_-X for my Cat Engines and the results were extremely impressive in turns of idling, smoke, etc...

I filled the primaries with one can and the secondaries with a second after my recent oil and filter changes and am still very impressed.

It still comes in 55 gallon drums. That's probably what you'll need, Byron, when you buy that 300 footer.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI