Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Engine power loss solved

After 1600 engine hours in 9 years one day in a Bass fishing tournament, in 6 foot seas, I had the same problem, to be sure I never had the same problem I added 40 micron spin on filters filters before the racors. They of course will not do any thing for water but will prevent anything from getting stuck in the float ball passage.

So far so good, in the same Bass tournament this year and about the same sea state no issues, I cut the filters open to have alook and one filter had captured some truobling "stuff".

We fished with out any idea.

JM
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

This is all VERY interesting.
    I am assuming these are diesel engines?
    Could the same happen to gasy engines with spin on filters?
    I experienced the same intermittent power loss last year. First the starboard, then the port engine experienced power 'surging' later on in the season. Up to 2900 rpm, no problem. At WOT or just below, the surges started. It just sounds like a fuel flow issue. I have had both carbs rebuilt, new wires and plugs replaced. I also replaced the primary in-line fuel filters but the problem persists. The fuel was (is) fresh, and treated for ethanol.
    The boat is on the hard now till spring, but any thoughts would be appreciated.
    BTW, the ChrisCraft 427 engines run as smooth as silk. They are beautiful, but surging is not.
    John
    Sailor John
    Mad Hatter
    38' Double Cabin Flybridge

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor John View Post
    I experienced the same intermittent power loss last year. First the starboard, then the port engine experienced power 'surging' later on in the season. Up to 2900 rpm, no problem. At WOT or just below, the surges started. It just sounds like a fuel flow issue. I have had both carbs rebuilt, new wires and plugs replaced. I also replaced the primary in-line fuel filters but the problem persists. The fuel was (is) fresh, and treated for ethanol.
    BTW, the ChrisCraft 427 engines run as smooth as silk. They are beautiful, but surging is not.
    John
    I would say not , due to the fact that spin on filters do not have a float ball.

JM
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor John View Post
    John
    BTW, the ChrisCraft 427 engines run as smooth as silk. They are beautiful, but surging is not. We own this boat now and during a rough crossing on the ochocbee we had no problems and yes they are Cats.
    CRAZZZY NUFFF