Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12

Re: Chartering My 58TC

OOPS! Forgot the trick question on the test too!! ws

Lighthouses
    email:
    Remote Name: 64.201.58.94
    Date: 09.26.09
    Time: 02:43:39 PM

Comments
    Ok so when I took the Chartwork and pilotage exam one of the questions was, what is the characteristics of the light that comes on as a back up if a lighthouse fails? It is the only question that I know I got wrong that I can not find the answer to. I know I saw it somewhere but can not for the life of me remember. It does not really matter very much but I am curious, anybody know?
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

The not so trick answer.... ws

Re: Lighthouses
    email:
    Remote Name: 66.78.108.253
    Date: 09.26.09
    Time: 10:31:42 PM

Comments
    I found these references on different sites when searching: - There is a smaller fixed backup light of much reduced intensity that flashes one time every ten seconds, but only when it is dark. -The commercially-powered light is backed up by a battery-powered light equipped to switch on in case of power outage. An electronic sensing device also monitors the main light and activates the backup light in case of any type of failure. The clocks automatically turn on the equipment at sunset and turn it off at sunrise. A photoelectric cell alarm control system was formerly installed, which caused a bell to ring in the base of the tower and also in the nearby dwelling when the light failed.
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

Good Lord, where do I start? LOL

First, the six pack link deal I posted is what you get when you click on that license requirement button on the USCG site. I really didn't pay any attention to the details other than where it showed the 90 day thing. It's not an issue for me as I have way more time than the minimum required whether it be 360 days or whatever.

Second, it's hard to remember when ole' Freebird looked like that. Trust me, that look didn't last long, neither did the name. It's one of those things when you walk onto a boat and the first thing that pops into your mind is, "what the hell were they thinking, drinking, smoking?

Last but not least, please tell me you didn't buy that Cargile Cutter in the pic there Willie. That would really round out your stable for sure. I'm sure you know those boats were built in Tennessee, and one of them even made a trans-Atlantic crossing. Pretty impressive, but not the boat I'd choose for such an adventure.

OK, I think we're all caught up now.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Degulis View Post
    Sorry I don't live in OZ I know people with lots of sea time that suck and people with less time that are very good. In the real world most people that sit for a test that have commercial time have 0 operating experience. A commercial operator is not going to waste his time teaching someone to run a boat who may never sit for or pass the test. First you get your license then you learn how to run a boat.

Brian

Talk about timing I was just told a story that fits this Saturday night. Friend said that the Guy that teaches the course near the marina asked him for help tying up his boat. Said he wasn't sure how to with two poles involved!!!
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>