Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Need fuel polish/mechanic recommendation in Chicago area

I'm currently in Chicago, about half way through our Great Loop adventure. On my way over here from Calumet City today, the port engine lost power. I had to shut it down before it stalled, and slog through 5' waves on one engine. Once we reached calmer water in Chicago harbor I had my wife drive the boat in circles while I went down into the engine room and switched the fuel transfer to have both engines run off the starboard tank. As soon as I switched over, the port engine ran fine.

I've had this problem before, so I know what I have is a clogged fuel line, probably caused by algae growth in the port tank. Can anyone in the area recommend a reliable mechanic who can blow out the line and polish the fuel in the port tank without raping me because I'm a transient?

Thanks
    Bill Root, USCG 100 Ton Master, Near Coastal
    MV BUFFALO GAL
    1988 54' MY

Re: Need fuel polish/mechanic recommendation in Chicago area

Bill: is there any chance of making it back down to the Calumet River? Once yer downtown yer kinda at their mercy.. and theres not many mechanics that'll make service calls. Where exactly are you??? yachtsmanbill 6303888882 (cell)
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

Bill (Root, not Yachtsman),
    Was that you in Pentwater a week ago Friday? I saw a 43DC in the last slip at the municipal marina when we came in. I walked over to see if I could find anyone aboard, but no luck. We were on the wall at Snug Harbor. I hope I didn't miss you, but the boat was a 1973 and it had FL registration.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Sky:

Yes, that was us in the municipal marina at Pentwater last week. I saw you beautiful boat, but didn't recognize the name. If I had, I would have walked over to see you. Sorry we missed each other.

Yachtsman Bill:

Thanks for the response. We are in DuSable Harbor until the weekend. General consensus from folks on the "looper" website is same as yours; not much to be done in downtown Chicago. it looks like my best bet for now, since both engines run fine off the starboard fuel tank, is to head back to Marine Services in Calumet Sunday and have them blow out the fuel line Monday before I start down the rivers Tuesday. Bigger issue is what's causing the fuel line to plug up and how to fix permanently.

I had a fuel polish done in Virginia when I had this same problem heading up the Chesapeake in rough seas. That seemed to work fine, and I had no problems until I started down Lake Michigan two weeks ago. Same sea conditions with 4 - 5' waves and the boat bouncing pretty good. I put into a marina and had the fuel line blown out, but no fuel polish. I treated the fuel with BioBor, and treated it again at next fill-up. Boat ran fine until yesterday when we were running from Calumet to Chicago, again bouncing pretty good in 4 to 5 foot waves. Apparently there is still something in that port fuel tank that gets stirred up when the boat is bouncing around, then plugs up the fuel line. I know it's not plugged fuel filters because as soon as I switch the port engine to the starboard fuel tank, it runs fine.

Sorry for the lengthy message, but I have to figure this out before I get to the Mississippi. Although I can run both engines on one tank if necessary, there is one stretch of river where there is 250 miles between diesel facilities. I can't make it that far on one tank.
    Bill Root, USCG 100 Ton Master, Near Coastal
    MV BUFFALO GAL
    1988 54' MY

Bill, Had a similar problem 3 years ago. The only cure I found was to draw the fuel being polished through the fuel line rather than from the fuel gauge access port in the top of the tank. This pulled the gunk causing the clog right out . No problems since.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

Bill,

I assume that you are headed south down the Illinois Waterway.

If you can make it to Peoria, Illinois River MM 165, I have a small portable fuel polishing filter setup that I use before putting launching in the spring. It consists of an 12V Walbro electric fuel pump and a Racor 1000 filter. I use 2 micron filters.

I disconnect the fuel lines (both supply and return) at the fuel injection pump and hook it in there. Let it run for a couple of days. The pump has a 30-40 gph capacity so it doesn't take long to go through a full tank.

You're welcome to use it. We would just need to make adapters to your tank.

Blaine
    309-634-5360