Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Awlgrip or Imron

Fanfare has the correct answer. I have sprayed both Imron and Awlgrip. I prefer Imron, but I am a hack and need to wet sand and polish some of my work. Then there are the inevitable bugs that land on the fresh paint. Imron now comes ready to spray right out of the can. (Thanks for that go the govt. liberals.) Because of that I don't think rolling and tipping would be possible as the paint is way to thin for that.
    Maynard
    UNITY '86 36C

I used to spray Imron and never tried awlgrip myself as the tips were different for the guns. I di the prep but had a painter familiar with it do the spray as he had the right tip.

I brushed and dipped things in clear awlgrip too but that was a different procedure.

Each paint is only as good as the application below it in too many instances the primer is not done well. Its 99% prep and if the prep is bad it wont matter the brand of paint. keep that in mind.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Do not compare the new paints to the old paint. boats that were painted in the 80's and 90's and even the early years of 2000's are not comparable to the new paint. These boats were painted with the old formulations for Imron and Awlgrip. The reason that these paints are now called Imron II and Awlgrip II is not because the paint companies came up with better paints, it's because the government made them reformulate the paints to reduce the voc's (volatile organic compounds). They did come out with new paint, but........., it's not even close to as good as the original formulation for Imron and Awlgrip. Your question and answers should be about the paints that are available NOW. So maybe 3 or 4 year old comparisons are all you can have! Compare apples to apples!

This begs the question: Are the old formulations still available? Could a guy buy them in Mexico, for example? Or are they just not produced anymore?
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I have cruised with a neighbor who retired from Dupont about 6 or 7 years ago, that worked in the division that produces Imron. Do not remember the exact name of the division, but it is something close to the point of sale color mix division. I asked him about the change and his basic answer was there has been little change to the resins in Imron over the years, it is the thinners/carriers that had to be modified to meet the recent VOC requirements. Also, the lead was taken out, and some boat painters have told me that was the end of the ability to buff Imron to look like new after 10, 20, even 30 years.

BTW, my understanding of the "ready to shoot" packaging is it has two advantages that does not benefit the looks of a boat. First, you get less paint, as when the paint is mixed at the point of sale, they add 10% or so thinner. So now you get 90% as much paint as you did in the past, for a higher price, bottom line: less coverage for more money. Second reason, was for the tree huggers. The mix you receive has the minimum thinner to get the paint to flow out. Read as "orange peel". If you want it to flow better you need to add more thinner, which then causes the paint to not meet its VOC specifications. All instructions avoid any discussion of thinning as it is not allowed by law. While individuals doing touch up on their boat may be able to do this without any one showing up, commercial painters will likely not risk their business and savings.

Pete

Most of the time the manufacturer changes the formula the old formula is no longer produced and not available even in places it may be permitted. I'm not so sure that the new formulas are inferior to the old. Most of the paints I've worked with that were changed to comply with VOC regulations were simply re formulated to contain less solvents. That covered the manufacture's obligation. The painter was responsible to stay within the VOC limits and not replace the omitted solvents. Most small yards are never checked so the omitted solvents are added and your basically getting the old formulation. I guess time will tell but IMHO the new formulas are probably as good or better than the old provided it's the same basic product. Paints like Vinyl's and TBT antifouling were eliminated in the US and that's a different situation.

Brian

After 6 months of research on paint and painters, we're at Luu Marine in Ft. Lauderdale right now getting a Alexseal job done. If you're considering Alexseal, give their FL rep Jeff Holland a call - he is incredibly helpful and objective and lives and breathes boat paint. Drop me a private message and I'm happy to send his info.
    Last edited by dpreston59; 09-03-2009 at 09:26 PM.

Used to shoot a lot of Imron years ago but not for quite a while. An earlier post, above noted that it's 'ready to shoot out of the can." How can that be? Is it no longer a two-part paint? If not it is certainly not what it used to be...
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    Used to shoot a lot of Imron years ago but not for quite a while. An earlier post, above noted that it's 'ready to shoot out of the can." How can that be? Is it no longer a two-part paint? If not it is certainly not what it used to be...

Mike I believe the ready to spray from the can meant no thinning required. It still needs accelerator to cure properly. And yes it probably dries if you spray it without accelerator.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Agree, you get VOC compliant paint and thinner in the Imron paint can, and still need to add activator. My experience is IMRON never dries hard without activator. It dries to the stage that you will not get it on your fingers when just exposed to air for an extended period, but never to a useful finish.

Pete