Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Awlgrip or Imron

I have a 1974 Hatteras 46 convertible. I have used one of the best paint guys on the Chesapeake Bay for years. He prefers Awlgrip. He's getting up in years and he has trained his sons well. They prefer Awlgrip II. I let them paint from the rub rails up with Awlgrip II two years ago. The shine is great. I don't think the corners have held up as good as the Awlgrip however. I am considering using the Axleseal on the hull because I'm worried about the wear factor of Awlgroip II with fenders etc. etc.
    Tomrealest@aol.com
    Needs, Wants & Desires
    1978 58 Hatteras Yachtfish
    SEA 21
    1974 46C #313 Hatteras Convertible

I'm with Roger at Jarrett Bay as they did my 45 Hatteras in 2007. THe Alex seal looks like the day I took the boat out of the yard. very shiny and easy to clean and polish. take a look at my pictures under George in the Gallery.

Well...a boat painted in 2007 is not much of a test for paint. My 53 was resprayed by the PO with Imron in 1995 and is almost daily assumed to be "just painted" by folks walking by the dock. It has never been waxed (and never will be).

FWIW, no car guys would ever consider Awlgrip for custom paint...Imron pretty much rules the car/bike world for custom finishes.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

My boat was painted with Imron in 1999 or 2000, I wax it twice or more a year, paint shines like new. Years ago, a marina took a chunk out of the paint with a forklift, repaired it, and I can't tell where they resprayed.

Does anyone know how Imron does when you roll and tip? What is the best paint for roll and tip? Thanks!
    "In a country well governed; poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed; wealth is something to be ashamed of." -- Confucius

Look at the videos on the interlux Perfection. It is a two part polyurethane.
    Daryl Hollis
    1965 34'DCMY Hull # 33

http://s940.photobucket.com/albums/a...albumview=grid

Perfection has "fixed" colors, cannot make custom mix to match your own.

perfection is OK but when compared to awlgrip or Alexseal it will not last as long.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Tobb View Post
    Does anyone know how Imron does when you roll and tip? What is the best paint for roll and tip? Thanks!

I don't know of anyone who was able to roll and tip Imron, Awlgrip or Sterling are much better suited for that.

The problem with trying to choose one of these paints is that, by the time the paint job has weathered enough to give one an idea, the maker will probably have changed their formula. Look at what the EPA is requiring manufacturers to do with regard to VOCs.

Probably the most important element to look for is the ability of your paint shop. The thickness of modern paints is so small that surface prep is critical. Removing all the scratches, then proper priming is essential. Go with whatever paint your shop is good at. This is probably more important than the brand of paint.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932