There was a 1972 58ft Yachtfish here at our marina for a long time. Owned by an oil company and professionally maintained. They repainted at Georgetown Yachtbasin on the upper Chesapeake and used AWLGRIP in the old Hatteras Off White color that looks creamy.

All I can say is WOW. What a perfect job. AND it was all done roll and tip with the boat in the water vice any sort of shed. I would have sworn it was a spray booth job. Finish looked a foot deep.

Owning an exact sister ship from same year I was always envious. So I started doing my own AWLGRIP roll and tip work on topside stuff that needed it most. This is tediously difficult to do for the prep and base coat work. Only thing really hard about the finish coat work is getting a close paint match to the older stuff. Matching AWLGRIP to AWLGRIP for same color across different years and batches is reliable.

For roll and tip, AWLGRIP has a high build sanding base formulation that you put on roll and tip then sand smooth and recoat. Two coats are required but three or more and careful sanding can get you a glass smooth finish with no hint of orange peel.

Now for the hitch. Doing this when it is too hot or too cold or too much full sun can mess up the final finish with bubbles in the heat or sags and runs in the cold. If you are working outside, and unexpected rain can ruin a coat.

But if you are cheap or poor and have the time, you can do this yourself.