Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Re: Who has NEW self-contained AC onboard?

I'm going to look into this new found electric, for sure.

Maynard, I've got 2 240v 50 amp service at my pedestal. That must be standard on these 60x24 slips. I might be able to get them to change one out to 120v if I ask sweetly. ....or send Susan to ask. LOL
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Angela, just as an option you may want to consider, if you do not have a 120 volt 50 amp shore power cord or the matching dock pedestal outlet. This is how I do mine when it really gets hot and I want to have all the AC on at the same time. It does require a second 240 volt 50 amp shore power cord. I happen to have two, actually three of different lengths, so here is the approach that works for me.

First, buy a 240 volt 50 amp to 120 volt 50 amp adapter such as the one suggested by George at http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|328|49758|299260|319692&id=140125. Plug your second 240 volt 50 amp shore power cord into the pedestal. Take the female end, for the boat, to your inlets on the boat, plug the male end of the adapter (240v/50a) into the cord set, then take the female end (120v/50a) and attach it to the "Service 2" inlet. Turn on the pedestal, you should have incoming power on both service 1 & 2. Select the secondary panel that you want to power off Service 2, probably the one with the galley gear, and you now have a total service of 240 volts 75 amps. 50% increase in power. Keeping the adapter on the boat has the added advantage of discouraging dock walkers who may take a liking to your adapter one night. Good luck.

Pete

One more detail just came to mind, should you try the hookup I described in my prior post. There has been discussion in the past on HOF on how to use #6 with 3 conductors shore power cable, and this works great for the 240 volt 50 amp connection. If you try the 120 volt 50 amp connection, using a 240 volt 50 amp pedestal outlet, with the adapter I mentioned, you MUST use a standard 240 volt 50 amp shore power cord with 4 conductors. Do not mean to make this sound complex because it is really simple, just a standard shore power cord for this connection.

Pete

Hey Ang,
    Did you ever get your 120v 50a power hooked up?
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

No, I haven't gotten around to that. After I got back from the yard, the boat was a huge mess - dirty, dusty, gritty. I've spent a LOT of time doing deep cleaning inside and have been tackling the polishing of the "house" structure outside. There is a charter broker who wants to come over and take photos in order to list her with his fleet. So, the other 120v line has taken the back seat for a bit. Maybe I'll get back to that idea after CDR.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    I have never been to a marina that had 2 250V 50A outputs that I could utilize on any slip that was sized around the 60ft range. But maybe they are common in FL where the need for AC is higher.
    I've got dual 50amp connections here in Galesville, has them in Baltimore too...and also will ahve them down in Portsmouth when we head down there for the schooner race in 2 weeks. I've never been to a marina that DIDN'T offer dual 50s...
    Dave
    "Saraswati" - 1980 53MY
    Galesville, MD

Now, window units dont look so bad, cheap too! Lots of sailboats around here got em..... Ha!

Captned
    MBMM
    Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.