Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

air compressor pressure

I bought my 53 MY in March and getting through the list. The horns/wipers didn't work and it turned out that the compressor was ok but that the water separator was broken and the bowl is missing. It has been bypassed and the horns blast like a train and the wipers work. I was reading the owners' manual and it says that the pressure regulator at the pump should go to about 120 and that there is an adjustable valve on the tank. the new bypass has a small leak and the tank is still reading over 140psi. So am thinking the PO may not have simply replaced the broken bowl as it might have exploded due to high pressure? My service guy is not familiar with my system but is a good tech, however i think my boat and he are the same age. Thanks for any tips, don't want the new separator to explode and maybe if i leave the tank valve open when he starts it up, it will keep the pressure from going to high.

Re: air compressor pressure

The pressure is regulated at the compressor. There should be a governer mounted to the compressor that unloads it once the preset pressure is achieved. They are identical to truck mounted units that feed air brake systems. A truck shop or truck mechanic will be able to help.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

A good separator will take more pressure than that. make sure the separator is in good shape or replace it with one rated at or above the pressure and volume of the tank and compressor
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

What Sky Said. Look on the compressor they're all pretty similiar. Some where on there your going to see an adjustment. It's proubably a screw with a lock nut. Turn it out a little then fire it up. You will hear it when the compressor un loads it gets quieter. Turn the screw out or in to get it to cut off at the recomended pressure. Remember if you need to lower it you will have to let air out (water drain valve on tank) It's best to intentionaly set it to low then while it's run adjust it up to what you want.

Brian

My compressor unloaders are controlled by a regulator on the reciever with a small 1/4" line running to the unloaders (governor). If you look at it closely, its marked with what looks like vernier graduations. I have a tank gage mounted right there as well. ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

Quote Originally Posted by yachtsmanbill View Post
    My compressor unloaders are controlled by a regulator on the reciever with a small 1/4" line running to the unloaders (governor). If you look at it closely, its marked with what looks like vernier graduations. I have a tank gage mounted right there as well. ws
    Bill that's not the unloader that's Hats version of a safty valve. The unloader is almost always on the compressor.

Brian

Oh boy... I stand corrected (GULP) !!! I just looked at my setup and yer right, its a relief valve. The small line runs back to the governor on the compressor. Its been a while since I had my big ol' head in there and really had a close look.
    At the plant, we had adjustable regs to control unloader pressures and I thought thats what this was!
    So now, are the compressor ULs adjustable? Mine only makes about 90 PSI so I am guessing its just tired. I know its a Bendix unit, so where do I get a rebuild kit for it? I also need to pull the tank out and do a patch on it. When Bubba installed it, there was virtually no way to access it to drain the water and it rusted through (a pin hole). Just starting the "next winter to-do list" LOL. ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

Any truck shop will have the parts for a Bendix compressor.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by yachtsmanbill View Post
    Oh boy... I stand corrected (GULP) !!! I just looked at my setup and yer right, its a relief valve. The small line runs back to the governor on the compressor. Its been a while since I had my big ol' head in there and really had a close look.
    At the plant, we had adjustable regs to control unloader pressures and I thought thats what this was!
    So now, are the compressor ULs adjustable? Mine only makes about 90 PSI so I am guessing its just tired. I know its a Bendix unit, so where do I get a rebuild kit for it? I also need to pull the tank out and do a patch on it. When Bubba installed it, there was virtually no way to access it to drain the water and it rusted through (a pin hole). Just starting the "next winter to-do list" LOL. ws
    Try adjusting the unloader on the compressor that should bring the pressure up. The compressor is probably OK when they go bad most of the time they knock but still make pressure.

I don't really like what hat did with they're safty valve. The valve they're using is an adjustable relief valve not a safty valve. On our 61 and the 60C and other hats I've seen that is the only safty valve in the system. I was taught that a safty valve should not be an adjustable valve. It should be calibrated to pop at a preset pressure and tested before it leaves the factory. What hat did seems kind of dangerous to me I don't trust those valves as safty's and I have seen the unloaders on the compressor stick. So the safty valve is the only thing that sops the receiver from breaking open from to much pressure. DON'T LIKE IT!!!

If your compressor is bad you can get rebuilt exchage do a net search. Or the truck junkyard works.

Brian

Compressor governors are dirt cheap. I bought one for my old dump truck around 2000 for like $20 at a napa or a truck supply parts place.