Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: USS New York, "Never Forget"

I dunno Mike, considering the bad guys will be firing CAD designed missiles at that thing, it may be good that it's CAD designed. I bet my computer can beat up your computer!

Propulsion
    The USS New York uses
    Four Colt-Pielstick PC2.5 STC Turbocharged Marine Diesel Engines with Inboard Rotating Rolls-Royce Controllable Pitch Propellers. The 16-cylinder Colt-Pielstick PC2.5 STC engine is intended for use on ships requiring high propulsion power combined with a lightweight installation. The engine was selected by the U.S. Navy to power the LPD-17 San Antonio Class vessels. Four engines are installed per ship, two per reduction gear, with each shaft driving controllable pitch propellers. Each engine is rated at 7755 kW at 520 rpm.

41,000 hp is not too shabby; dont forget this is for putting a marine
    division ashore, so manuevering is a major consideration. Geared steam turbines wouldnt do it and turbine electric (steam or combustion) doesnt give that much control either. ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

Re the missiles and modern designs...

Back when the USS Cole was attacked by guys in a rubber boat some navy analyist was on tv. There was a general discussion about ships and the Missouri was mentioned for it's role in the Gulf war and the number of sailors on board.. Then the analyst was "asked" by one of the pretty but clueless talking heads, "I guess we're fortunate that it wasn't the Missouri that was attacked, the loss of American lives would have been much greater!" The Navy guy replied, "If the Missouri had been subject to the same explosion, some guy inside would have turned to the guy in the next bunk and said 'Did you hear something?"

Like we say about so many things I guess, they don't make 'em like that anymore!

http://www.flatrock.org.nz/topics/hi...s_missouri.jpg
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

The LST (a measly 523 feet) I was on for a summer in 1977 had six 16 cylinder ALCO 16-251E main propulsion diesel engines. Two shafts, three engines per shaft, 15,000 horsepower per shaft. Also with variable pitch propellors. To go in reverse, you just change the pitch of the propellors, shafts still rotate the same direction. It also had about a 16 foot diameter bow thruster and an enormous stern winch and anchor. Amphibious craft need a whole different maneuvering mechanism.

The idea was to ballast the bow, drive it up on a beach, extend the bow ramp, unload the marines and amtraks (LVTs), drain the bow tanks, and pull yourself out with the stern anchor winch. Pretty crazy idea that never really worked. Winches jammed, anchors snagged, bow ramps got stuck in the extended position, etc. etc. The Navy decommissioned all of this class of LST.

It had 4 WWII era 3 inch 50 guns....not really armament. One person told me if you made it to the beach and no further, mission accomplished. Not very comforting to the Navy types on board. I hope this vessel is better protected.
    Looking for another boat...not a Hatt

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky1 View Post
    Let's just hope we get to see it coming into New York harbor with bin Laden hanging from the mast. It would be the perfect ending.
    USS New York sets sail from New Orleans! The ship just left the docks and is about to go unter the Mississippi River Bridge and pass in front of Downtown New Orleans on it's way to New York. Northrop Grummand handed out 2500 American Flags to people who came out and lined the banks of the Mississippi river to see her off!

Local news coverage said that there was only 18" clearance under the Huey P. Long Bridge! It's so foggy this morning I wonder if they got any good pics of how close it was!

GO USS NEW YORK!!!!
    Last edited by ThirdHatt; 10-13-2009 at 10:46 AM.

Me and my brother played hooky at lunch today and checked out the USS New York. Holy Cow - beat the crap out of any museum I have ever been too. You get to walk on for Free and play with nearly everything on board - which is all shiny and new. The service men and women on board were fantastic, they were really enthusiastic and explained everything we asked them. If you can make a trip and like to play with heavy metal, she's here till Wednesday (Veterans Day). Attached are a couple of pics.
    Attached Images

One big tail gate. Those are two hoover crafts in picture for landing Marines and Special Forces on shore.
    Attached Images

One of the towers. Unfortunately, we weren't allowed to play up there.
    Attached Images

USS Intrepid Air Craft Carrier (now a museum and recently back from a 6 million dollar refurfb) is docked right next to USS New York. Was there 2nd day USS Intrepid returned, USS New York way cooler.
    Attached Images

Save your Mommy, Kill a commie!
    Attached Images