Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Re: Fort Myers To Chicago On A 55C

Nah man, they're made by a commercial ship builder up north as I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by captddis View Post
    Stop at Johns Pass and I will let you buy us a drink at Bubba Gumps!!
    I've been thinking about your offer, but I'm thinking you've got the drink buying thing bass ackwards. Unless, of course, you want to give the 55 a last, quick lookover before we head across.

Speaking of heading across, does the municipal marina at Clearwater still have the best fuel prices in the area? I'm thinking we'll need to top off again to check our fuel burn after filling in Ft Myers (I assume) to make sure we're not getting too ambitious with our target on the other side if we run on plane.

I ate at the Bubba Gump's in Gatlinburg last summer and was not impressed. I didn't drink anything though, so maybe their drinks are good. Is it near the restaurant where we ate last time I was down? I remember they had plenty of boat parking there, but I don't remember the name of the place.

http://www.johnspass.com/dining.cfm

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:...&ct=clnk&gl=us

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marinette_Yachts

Two WAYYY different companies!! We're heading to the VBC as we speak... have fun and let us know how your trip planner is doing LOL... ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

Quote Originally Posted by yachtsmanbill View Post
    http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:...&ct=clnk&gl=us

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marinette_Yachts

Two WAYYY different companies!! We're heading to the VBC as we speak... have fun and let us know how your trip planner is doing LOL... ws
    Yeah, the Marinette thing was an inside joke between me and Sky. Sort of like his YachtWorld comment.

I'm rounding up my charts as we "speak", so I should have a plan worked out this afternoon. I just have to wait for word on how much fuel the owner wants to burn.

YB,
    I never really realized that Marinettes were not built in Marinette since it is a big boat building area.

Although I've done the loop, most of my boating experience is in the Great Lakes and Florida. Seeing that name, and knowing the yards in Menominee and Marinette, I made an assumption. You know what happens when you assume. If I had spend more time in Tennessee, I probably would have figured that one out. At the time, though, I was just too busy looking for a fiberglass Broward so Sparky could trade up.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    YB,
    I never really realized that Marinettes were not built in Marinette since it is a big boat building area.

Although I've done the loop, most of my boating experience is in the Great Lakes and Florida. Seeing that name, and knowing the yards in Menominee and Marinette, I made an assumption. You know what happens when you assume. If I had spend more time in Tennessee, I probably would have figured that one out. At the time, though, I was just too busy looking for a fiberglass Broward so Sparky could trade up.
    If you had "spend" more time in Tennessee, you could talk more better too.

BTW, I made an offer on one of those fiberglass Broward's on YW pending verification of construction. They haven't gotten back with me yet.

Back on topic, seems there is an issue with a turbo on the 55, but the mechanic thinks he can have it fixed by Wednesday morning. If not, then we'll just have to see how things progress. Meanwhile, if it works out that we'll be in Fort Myers for an extra day or so, who wants to get together for dinner and/or drinks? No, I'm not buying.

Correction, blower issues, not turbo issues.

Now that I've cleared that up, I found this article on the brochure archives here on this site and was wondering if these speed/MPG/GPH figures look about right. I won't name names, but the last time I referenced such a test from the archives, SOMEBODY claimed they were way off. Speaking of way off, anybody heard anything out of Pascal lately?

http://www.hatterasowners.com/Brochu.../55CA-1080.htm

Here, this will make things easier. Looks like 1,750 is the sweet spot for on-plane cruising.

I realize I'm talking out loud here (to myself), but I figure you guys will catch up later. Looks like it's approximately 130nm from Fort Myers to Clearwater, so that should make for a good first day's run at ~17 knots.

Then it's going to be an all-dayer running from Clearwater to Panama City. Seems like that was around 250 statue miles as I recall, so there's about 12 hours at the same speed.

My charts end with Florida, but it looks like Panama City to Mobile Bay is about 121nm. My chartplotter will show it, but does anybody know how far it is from the entrance to Mobile bay to Dog River Marina?

That should be doable from Panama City in daylight hours easy enough. Then comes the fun part.

Yes Clearwater municipal has the best fuel prices, usually better than the truck. Stop in Clwtr and we will drive up, of course dinner is on you since I have to drive.

For what it is worth. I have a 55C that I ran often, has the 650 HP 12v71's. 18kts@2000 ish and 60GPH . As fuel is used it would creep up to 20kt.