Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 LastLast

Re: Fort Myers To Chicago On A 55C

The best bet for a cheap slip is going to be in north Tampa Bay. There is a place called Interbay marina that's cheap. He also might try Regatta point in Palmetto they don't have a rep for cheap but they are pretty empty right now.

Brian

bird give me a call. I know someone that runs a marina in the area thay may be able to get you a deal.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Thanks Brian and Scott, but I'll wait to see how things shake out before putting anybody to any trouble. I'll check that place out Brian, just to get some ideas of rates. Scott, I'll give you a buzz tomorrow. I'm sure there are some empty slips in Riviera Dunes where I used to keep the 58 that could be rented from their owners pretty cheap. I'm sure Pat Bustle can help me with that... again.

I guess this is all going to depend on how quickly Roger can get the boat squared away. Then it's a matter of whether or not I can make the time to run this thing to Tennessee or wherever. I'm slammed for October, and my captain's license course starts the end of November. The days are getting shorter and colder, so this trip would be more like the one I made a couple of years ago... more work than pleasure. Too bad she didn't develop these problems after she was in Chicago.
    Last edited by Sparky1; 09-24-2009 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Called Brian "Brain", didn't want to give him the big head.

sorry to hear about the engine mess! owner should keep the boat on the gulf coast for winter so he can escape winter a few times... that will also give him time to work the bugs out of the boat and ensure the mechanics work is done properly. after major work, staying close by for a while can make things much easier should anything happen.

are they really going to put in 9 kits and not a full set in that engine?
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I advised him to go the full 12 as I would think it rather silly to stop at 9. The owner lives in Chicago, and I'm sure there are insurance ramifications for leaving it in Florida.

I too questioned why we were taking the boat north when we were leaving Fort Myers, but he had his reasons. I know what it feels like to be 600+ miles away from your boat when you're trying to get things done. It doesn't work very well.

It's not unusual to only change out a few holes on a DD. It all depends on the hours and the condition of the other cylinders.

BILL

Yeah, but 9 is way more than a few. I'd do it just for the extra peace of mind. We're talking chump change in comparison with what the overall bill is going to be.

OK I know this may be an unpopular opinion but here goes.

RANDY IS RIGHT ABOUT A MECHANICAL ISSUE.

There is no reason not to do the last 3 and have a documented point where all 12 kits were replaced. With new heads and the other work being done this would most certainly would be a smart decision.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

9. Re: Fort Myers To Chicago On A 55C

RANDY IS RIGHT ABOUT A MECHANICAL ISSUE.
    I hate to admit it, but I agree with the above statement. Even if the other three liners were in pristine condition, I'd still replace them, just to say everything is done.
    Imagine the fun when after spending $25K on an engine rebuild and the first run out, something happens and it gets traced back to one of the three cylinders that wasn't replaced! Not happy days!

Yet another update about the dockage situation. Seems the folks at Clearwater Municipal have done a 180 since I posted about their 90 day limit on transients. Now they're saying the boat can be left where it is until spring at a monthly cost of $880 which is pretty dang good assuming it includes electric (as I'm sure it does). They were certainly enforcing that 90 day limit when I had my boat there a couple of years ago, and they mentioned it again when I spoke to them earlier this week. I guess maybe things are slow now.

No doubt it would be a lot cheaper to keep the boat in Tennessee for the winter, but the timing of the repairs being completed will be the determining factor. Stay tuned.