Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast

Re: Fort Myers To Chicago On A 55C

Quote Originally Posted by spartonboat1 View Post
    Yeah, from ole' CW song by Waay-Luhn (Jennings that is...)...

"... Ive always been crazy, but its' kept me from goin' insane.."
    Thought this would make Randy's day... read on;

Sanitary & Ship Canal reopens after 'electrified water' concerns

9/17 - Chicago, Ill. – The U.S. Coast Guard has re-opened the Chicago Sanitary and Ship Canal to some recreational boaters following a four-week closure over safety concerns about increasing the voltage in an underwater electric fish barrier.

Boats greater than 20-feet long must first seek permission from the coast guard to pass through that narrow section of canal near Romeoville under their own power. Previously, the coast guard had required all recreational vessels to be towed across the electrical barrier. Safety concerns still prohibit passage by all personal watercraft, canoes, kayaks, rafts, shells, or sailboats without a motor.

"There are very serious risks associated with coming in contact with electrified water." Capt. Luann Barndt, Commander of U.S. Coast Guard Sector Lake Michigan, said in a statement. "We want to ensure people understand all the risks before they decide to request permission to transit through the safety zone."

The Army Corps of Engineers increased the electrical output in August to bolster its defenses against the invasive Asian Carp, which have been steadily making their way up the canal and toward Lake Michigan.

But that increase raised questions about how recreational boaters could be affected, which led the Coast Guard to issue a travel restriction across that popular area and drew criticism from dozens of boaters.

To request permission for travel from the coast guard, a representative can be reached at VFH-FM Channel 16 or (630) 336-0296.

WGN News
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

Like I said earlier, they had to do something to address this given how many geographically challenged boaters would be heading south for the winter. At least that will be one less thing to worry about where this trip is concerned.

I haven't heard anything from Roger as to the status of the repairs, but I'll post when I hear something. Maybe we can talk Roger into running this thing up and down the coast for ten hours or so before we think about heading across the Gulf to Panama City. I'm just not in the mood for another adventure, but a USCG rescue might look pretty good on the ole' resume. I've never ridden in a helicopter before.

Just an update to those who are following this soap opera. Just found out we're up to 9 kits now in addition to those cracked heads. The owner asked a question that I'm not sure how to answer. Why is Roger saying he has to bore the cylinders if he's replacing the liners?

I assuming it's just to true the cylinder for proper sleeve fitment, but I'll ask this on the technical section so they'll have something to talk about. Oh yeah, I'm still not sure when this thing will be ready to head north. Anybody around Clearwater wanna buy a 55C... cheap? JUST KIDDING!!!

I dont get it either! Is he refering to boring the liners for oversized stuff? If I am not mistaken, you get liners with a oversized OUTSIDE diameter if the block fit was damaged. I was under the impression that THAT size difference was honed out, like about .0005". The fire ring crush still needs to be measured, but the liners sit on copper gaskets and O rings.
    A new power kit will have a complete in-out unit with a liner, checked/new rod, rings. pin and piston etc. and a liner kit is the outer piston shell with a liner and rings.
    At least this is the impression I am under. Whats Bubba got to say about the big overhaul down on the Tenne sea? ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

Willie, I posted another thread on the tech section and confirmed my thinking. As for my rebuild deal, my mechanic had some family emergencies along with some work-related emergencies, so he's supposed to start banging away next week.

Hey Randy... This just in....Some guy said you just bought this, it's in your neighborhood. Looks like a great one to do river cruises on. LOL. ws

http://www.cooperss.com/1-1-25976-Guy-Couach?tab=Photo Gallery&page=1#photos
    yachtsmanWILLY

Quote Originally Posted by yachtsmanbill View Post
    I dont get it either! Is he refering to boring the liners for oversized stuff? If I am not mistaken, you get liners with a oversized OUTSIDE diameter if the block fit was damaged. I was under the impression that THAT size difference was honed out, like about .0005". The fire ring crush still needs to be measured, but the liners sit on copper gaskets and O rings.
    A new power kit will have a complete in-out unit with a liner, checked/new rod, rings. pin and piston etc. and a liner kit is the outer piston shell with a liner and rings.
    At least this is the impression I am under. Whats Bubba got to say about the big overhaul down on the Tenne sea? ws

Standars liners are 1 thru 5 then you go .010, .020.030 then new block.

I got a text message from the owner which went into a bit more detail about this engine work. Like I told him, I trust Roger implicity to do things the right way. Not to question Roger as I know it will come back to bite me again, but he said he would have to take the engine loose from its mounts and turn it from side to side to bore the cylinders. Why is that?

On the other front, it looks like he's decided that getting the boat to Chicago this year is just not going to happen. We're discussing taking it to Tennessee for the winter, possibly to park it beside the ole' Bird boat. I'll keep y'all posted, but it looks like this move to Chicago will happen sometime in the spring/summer of 2010.

Meanwhile, in the event something else changes, does anybody have any leads on reasonably priced slips in the Clearwater/Tarpon Springs to Sarasota area? Leaving it at Clearwater Municipal is not an option.

9. Re: Fort Myers To Chicago On A 55C

Clearwater Muni isn't an option? Price?

(When I was last cruising that general area a few years ago it was THE place I put in when I had the option!)
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky1 View Post
    I got a text message from the owner which went into a bit more detail about this engine work. Like I told him, I trust Roger implicity to do things the right way. Not to question Roger as I know it will come back to bite me again, but he said he would have to take the engine loose from its mounts and turn it from side to side to bore the cylinders. Why is that?

On the other front, it looks like he's decided that getting the boat to Chicago this year is just not going to happen. We're discussing taking it to Tennessee for the winter, possibly to park it beside the ole' Bird boat. I'll keep y'all posted, but it looks like this move to Chicago will happen sometime in the spring/summer of 2010.

Meanwhile, in the event something else changes, does anybody have any leads on reasonably priced slips in the Clearwater/Tarpon Springs to Sarasota area? Leaving it at Clearwater Municipal is not an option.

There needs to be 36 inches of clearance above the engine deck for the boring bar.