Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Smart Voltage Regulators - Recommended Manufacturer

Pretty sure one of my voltage regulators is shot and I’m thinking about upgrading my original Delco-Remy voltage regulators to 3-stage smart voltage regulator. The one from Xantrex looks good (http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/107/p/1/pt/7/product.asp ). Anybody have feedback on this unit or recommendations as to other make and models?

I noticed there is a field relay in the existing system that closes when you turn the ignition key. When closed, it appears to provide voltage regulator with sensing voltage on battery. Anyone know why do you need this relay in between battery and voltage regulator?

This is for 12V system, regulating 58 amp alternator charging two Rolls 8D batteries at 275 amp/hr each in series (550 amp/hr total). I know alternator is undersized by most standards, but the smart-charger with temp sensor on batteries is on all the time while at dock and I typically don’t discharge battery to more than 70% while doing overnight on hook before engines running again and going back to plug her in at dock.

Re: Smart Voltage Regulators - Recommended Manufacturer

Quote Originally Posted by sgharford View Post

I noticed there is a field relay in the existing system that closes when you turn the ignition key. When closed, it appears to provide voltage regulator with sensing voltage on battery. Anyone know why do you need this relay in between battery and voltage regulator?
    '

Probably so the current going to the field doesn't have to go through the ignition switch and subsequent long wiring.

After a Xantrex smart charger failed pyrotechnically just after the warranty expired, I swore off of their products. When I installed smart regulators on my Connie, I went with Balmar units that are available in 12, 24, and 32v configurations because my boat has a split 32/12 system. They work flawlessly.

There is a great write up on this topic in this issue of passagemaker (just arrived yesterday)
    Shawn
    58 MY

5. Re: Smart Voltage Regulators - Recommended Manufacturer

My 12v Xantrex has been working fine for over eight years...ditto for the one made by Powerline....Since all are solid state, I would think many brands would be reliable.

For your use you can easily replace with an automotive regulator...I used to carry several aboard as spares because they are so inexpensive, mass produced, and generally very reliable. I can remember what I paid..maybe $20 vs about $200 for a smart regulator.

I'd not bother with a smart regulator given your needs....but you can get good buys on EBAY motors although you may have to wait some weeks before one becomes available.
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

I would avoid now-French-owned Xantrex (formerly owned by a Canadian private equity group) like the plague. My experiences with their customer "service" department were abysmal. U.S. of A based Balmar and Ample Power are much better choices for quality and service.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

Thanks for feedback guys. My issue of Passagemaker hasn't come in yet - really looking forward to it now.

Thanks Rob for recommendation using automotive regulator, that truly sounds like an excellent suggestion given my typical usage (and my rapidly depleting boat budget!).

I have two Balmar smart regulators. They have performed perfectly since installation- I had them connected to my Cat engines and now to the Cummins engines. They are not cheap, but they seem to be the best out there and the best is seldom cheap. They are also, AFAIK, made here.

I thought I would resurrect this thread.

I am thinking about going to external multi-stage regulation for the alternator connected to my house bank. It looks like there aren't many choices - Balmar, Sterling Power, Ample Power. I did an internet search and found many, many, failures of Balmar regulators. Some folks have replaced them 3 times in a year under warranty. I see a few good comments about Balmars, but mostly bad comments. Seems somewhat connected to cooling and location of the regulator.

What's y'all's experience?
    Last edited by fissioneng; 12-15-2011 at 02:05 PM.
    Looking for another boat...not a Hatt

Cool to have a thread you started resurrected – I have come of age. 2 years with my Balmar Max Charge regulators on 160 amp alternators I put in 2 years ago and 0 problems (about 180 hours of use). The house bank also runs a 2000w inverter that runs all the time when engines running. I still have plenty of water left in Roll's batteries after 6 month season. Granted I have smart charger's too, but I am very very happy with Balmar. As point of reference, with old on/off voltage regulators and same smart chargers, I would have to full batteries twice a season. Here's a picture of before/after installation from previous post: http://www.samsmarine.com/forums/sho...ernators/page2