Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

New Norpro 15kw being installed

I thought I'd start a new thread to show some pictures of my new generator. Even though I don't have the genset yet, I am impressed with the customer service from Norpro. I am on tight time schedule as I will be leaving Saturday for about a month on the boat. Norpro agreed to make up this generator and have it ready to ship by Wednesday. They finished it early and also arranged for overnight shipping to Michigan(800 miles). I will be picking it up at the freight terminal tomorrow. Norpro even called me at 5pm to say that it had just left on the truck. It's nice to have someone answer your calls in person. The salesman even gave me his cell phone number in case I needed anything.

I was not able to watch the yard remove the old Onan today, but they had it out in less then 4 hours. I had already pulled the generator end out and unhooked and capped off the fuel lines, electrical, etc. So, all they had left to do was rig and lift. But that is still not an easy job.

I left my camera on the boat and had a friend take some pics, so I will post those soon.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Re: New Norpro 15kw being installed

Here are some pics:
    Attached Images
    Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 06-23-2009 at 08:54 PM.
    Sky Cheney

And a couple more:
    Attached Images
    Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 06-23-2009 at 08:58 PM.
    Sky Cheney

Wow. Cool pics. Sky, how'd they get the gennie up from your dinette area to the salon? Seems like that would be the hard part.
    -- Paul

I'm wondering what the beam is sitting on that the chain fall is attached to. And wow, right next to all that beautiful new galley woodwork! Maybe it was good that you weren't there Sky.
    Looking for another boat...not a Hatt

Quote Originally Posted by Paul45c View Post
    Wow. Cool pics. Sky, how'd they get the gennie up from your dinette area to the salon? Seems like that would be the hard part.
    I was not on site, so I'm not sure how they did that part. Here is another picture of the beam as it was sitting blocked on the deck.

They may have re-rigged the beam to get the engine up high enough, but I doubt that there would have been enough clearance. The yard told me that four guys could lift it, but just barely. That make me think that they may have lifted and blocked, lifted and blocked, until they got it up there.
    Attached Images
    Sky Cheney

MAN!!! Even yer dirty stuff is clean LOL !! Are you gonna use the old engine at the pit? ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

There was a 53MY that was having one of the Allison gears removed and rebuilt at the same time mine was being done. Their labor bill was triple mine. Now I see why. When I repowered my 46C they pulled the genny so it would be easier to clean, paint and soundproof the ER. The yard said it should only take about 3/4-1hr out and the same back in. Took about 1/2 hr on the way out. Nice to see the guys barefoot and what looks like a well prepped boat.
    Jack Sardina

Quote Originally Posted by yachtsmanbill View Post
    MAN!!! Even yer dirty stuff is clean LOL !! Are you gonna use the old engine at the pit? ws
    Yes, I think that little diesel is going to become a dewatering pump.
    Sky Cheney

Great pictures. Not sure I would be without steel toe shoes around that hunk but all the better for the boat.

Pete