Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 671N fuel leak

Hybrid View

671N fuel leak

Good Afternoon
    My J&T 671N has a fuel leak . I thought it was around the secondary filter (canister type) or the fuel fitting at the cyl head or maybe the little fuel pump. After replacing the filter and cleaning the area. I ran the engine what appears to be happening is the fuel leak is starting up at the front of the engine by the governor area and the fuel is running down the cylinder head. kinda looking like it is leaking out of the cylinder head. The plugs the factory installed all seem dry. The governor gasket seems dry. The oil does not look diluted and it does not smell of fuel. I pulled the valve cover and it looks normal Any thoughts on an external fuel leak in that area.
    Thanks Jim

PS I was told there is a plug at the front of the cyl head that could be leaking and the cylinder head has to be pulled to repair . any thoughts
    Last edited by newinlet; 06-22-2009 at 02:39 PM. Reason: spelling

Re: 671N fuel leak

Quote Originally Posted by newinlet View Post
    Good Afternoon
    My J&T 671N has a fuel leak . I thought it was around the secondary filter (canister type) or the fuel fitting at the cyl head or maybe the little fuel pump. After replacing the filter and cleaning the area. I ran the engine what appears to be happening is the fuel leak is starting up at the front of the engine by the governor area and the fuel is running down the cylinder head. kinda looking like it is leaking out of the cylinder head. The plugs the factory installed all seem dry. The governor gasket seems dry. The oil does not look diluted and it does not smell of fuel. I pulled the valve cover and it looks normal Any thoughts on an external fuel leak in that area.
    Thanks Jim

PS I was told there is a plug at the front of the cyl head that could be leaking and the cylinder head has to be pulled to repair . any thoughts
    Hallo
    I had the same problem after having changed primary and secondary diesel filter.
    The problem has been resolved when I cleaned the injectors.
    Probably are not perfectly cleaned and work uncorrectly.
    That's my opinion
    ciao
    roberto - Italia

Re: 671N fuel leak -update

Well I found my fuel leak, It seems there are pipe plugs on the ends of the cylinder head that were loose. It was an easy fix once the cylinder head was removed . Job done in about 6 hours I guess this can be common to the 671

That was a pretty good job in 6 hours! What a PITA for a lousy pipe plug. Did you use PTFE pipe dope on it; AND the rest of them for that matter??? ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

Bill, I had two techs on the job first time ever someone other than myself has worked on the engines. The E/R is in the salon of my boat plenty of room no rusted bolts. I would have done it myself but I never have set a rack the Tech showed me how I should be able to do it if I had to. The 671N is a nice motor to work on