Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Need bearing help (not for boat)

I'm trying to find replacement bearings but am having no luck cross referencing so far on the internet. The original bearing is a New Departure CWC 8500. I can't find any sort of current cross ref to this bearing. I did find a couple of NOS New Departure 8500 LR1E on Ebay which will fit but they have been sitting on a shelf since 1966 and I'm not confident the balls/races are not pitted just from sitting for that period so I'd like to find a currently made bearing that will interchange. It is for an capstan drive motor on a 1962 Ampex 350 tube studio tape recorder that I'm restoring. Because if the use, the bearings can't be pitted/galled or they introduce vibration/flutter into the tape path.

The bearing's measurements are: OD - 1 3/16" (30mm), ID - 25.64" (10mm) Width - 1/2" (12mm)

I have been on Ampex-related forums and this particular bearing is a constant problem...I would be a hero if I could come up with a source! So I thought I'd ask here since there seems to be a great mix of all sorts of knowledge

Any thoughts/suggestions re how to come up with a matching bearing would be appreciated. Yes, I will explain on the Ampex forum that I didn't find it on my own and give appropriate credit!
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Re: Need bearing help (not for boat)

Disregard, FOUND IT.

Timkin 200KTD!
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"