Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Record heat, no AC, yet still a happy ending

Capt K

i was in nantcket two weeks ago... the whole week i was there, temp never got to 60deg. I was running reverse cycle on the boat for a few hours every night!! record cold...

here, it's just nuts... must have been 100 yesterday... there was a nice breeze on the water so the saloon and aft deck were nice and cool while on the hook, even with the air off.

lost the master AC this week end though... pops the breaker when compressor tries starting... willl have to sleep in the VIP tonight... compressor (6 year old) has been acting up... will call the tech tomorrow to replace it.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

[QUOTE=Pascal;132223]Capt K

i was in nantcket two weeks ago... the whole week i was there, temp never got to 60deg. I was running reverse cycle on the boat for a few hours every night!! record cold...

here, it's just nuts... must have been 100 yesterday... there was a nice breeze on the water so the saloon and aft deck were nice and cool while on the hook, even with the air off.

I knew someone, somewhere was using all of our spring heat! Now that's it's summer, can we at least have some of it back?

Thanks!

K

Ang, Just a few weeeks ago I went to charge the A/C for the master and should have just used the low side as usual. I decided to check the high side and sure enough when I applied some torque to the valve to open, it sprung a leak and leaked out the freon. At first my A/C guy didn't want to work on an old unit either, as Cruisair says if older than 8 yrs the unit should be replaced. YEAH RIGHT! LOL

Anyway, he told me the same thing about the heat possibly ruining the unit and he could not guarantee his work, but did it anyway. We just used a cold wet rag wrapped around the tubes just before soldering. We cleaned up the edges and flared the end again and soldered in a new valve. Now it works great! He charged me 3 hrs labor. I provided the new valve.

By the way, that special tool to open the valve is just a square drive and I have always used a small vice-grip to open and close mine when charging.

***FYI: Whenever you have to buy a new Cruisair unit, make sure to get the model number with a "R" in it, not an "F". They make all units both ways, but the "R" is the better one, old school like the Cruisair we all know and love from years past. The "R" is made in the old Cruisair plant in Richmond, VA (high quality/higher standards) and the units with the "F" are made in Florida, at the Marine Air plant which is not nearly as good.
    Last edited by ThirdHatt; 06-22-2009 at 10:17 AM.

I know..it's not really a special tool. I called the tool a "special tool" because I didn't have one; he did; and I needed it! The crescent wrench wasn't working for us. My valve was really stuck and it took several tries from different positions with the "special tool" to get it open.

My condensing unit is a "F", I believe. It was a special order - they don't make these unless someone asks for one. It's not one of their typical product lines. It's just for this particular system - these 58MYs for Hatteras, and a few USCG boats.

For now, I'm going to try some JB Weld on that joint...can't hurt at this point. I've fixed a lot of stuff with JB Weld, including the bronze pump head on my big AC pump.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    I know..it's not really a special tool. I called the tool a "special tool" because I didn't have one; he did; and I needed it! The crescent wrench wasn't working for us. My valve was really stuck and it took several tries from different positions with the "special tool" to get it open.

My condensing unit is a "F", I believe. It was a special order - they don't make these unless someone asks for one. It's not one of their typical product lines. It's just for this particular system - these 58MYs for Hatteras, and a few USCG boats.

For now, I'm going to try some JB Weld on that joint...can't hurt at this point. I've fixed a lot of stuff with JB Weld, including the bronze pump head on my big AC pump.

Sorry to hear that you have one of the "F" units made in FL @ Marine Air....always order an "R" for future reference. They make all units at both facilities, you just have to specify. Very few people know this. Cruisair does not want this to get out, but I assure you the "R" units made in Richmond are the higher quality.

Those valves are stiff. A really tight grip with vice grips does work well if you don't have the square drive ratchet handy.

JB weld should work! GOOD LUCK!!!