Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

how do i empty my gas tanks?

need to switch out my old fiberglass tanks .....how do i empty the gas?

Re: how do i empty my gas tanks?

There are companies that will do this - guy here had it done a while back, cost nearly twice as much per gallon as buying gas!

Another possible option, depending on whether you have multiple tanks and how much fuel is in each tank, is to pump all the gas into one tank. Replace the other tank first, pump the fuel into it, then replace the remaining tank.

I did that on a previous boat that needed the tanks cleaned and it worked perfectly, polishing the fuel as I transferred it. Obviously, if your tanks are different sizes and/or you are more than 1/2 full now, this option won't work though it might still be useful by transferring as much of the fuel as possible, reducing the amount that needs to actually be removed.

OR you could do the above option (transfer) and just give away (or maybe sell cheap) the balance of the fuel to folks using gas cans. Might take a while but what the heck. You can rig a fuel transfer pump using a standard auto 12v fuel pump and an in line filter.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Is the gas over 6 months old and does it have ethanol?

If yes to either, I'd pay to have it pumped and disposed.

Common sense and caution go a long way when handling liquid fuel AND gasoline especially!
    First of all, youre gonna need some GOOD barrels and an electric fuel pump. Set the pump up in advance so there is absolutely no way on Gods green earth that youll produce any kind of sparks whatsoever. I would also run a ground wire from the fill pipe on the boat to the barrel with some good alligator clips.
    Make up a clean solid connection with hose and or fittings to the tank. You really dont even want ONE DROP of gas floating around. When the tank pickup is finished, access the tank with a wand of copper tubing and suck out the rest. If the tanks need to be cut up to remove with an electric saw, I would fill them with water or saturate them with CO2 from a fire extinguisher.
    As a gas boat owner I know you realize the EXPLOSIVE qualities of vaporized gasoline.
    If the boat is in the water move it away from your neighbors. NO SMOKING, and turn EVERY ELECTRCAL and electronic device OFF OFF OFF...AND VENTILATE especially if its hot and sunny!!!
    I hope you can see where I am going with this. ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

Thumbs up Re: how do i empty my gas tanks?

When I replaced mine over this past winter season, we got 2 55 gallon plastic drums and transfered the fuel into them with a hand pump. We removed the fill level gauges for access. Took a little while...but it got the job done.
    I took both 55's home along with the pump and had my own "gas station" in the garage until the fuel was gone....and it didn't take too long.
    "Yachtzee"
    1976 36C Hatteras
    Catawba Island, OH

If it's old and you don't want to run it in cars or lawnmowers and you have oil heat...depending on the amount just dump it in your oil tank. 500 gal of oil plus 50 gal of gas ain't gonna hurt much.

I foresee this thread becoming epic.

thanks for the reply's....problem is that the resin in the tanks is dissolving and probably has tainted the gas, sounds like i should hire proffessionals and be done with it....

I exactly as described by Big Bill - do it exactly as explained, and you will be fine.
    Akin Tosyali
    Hatteras 41 -Barbaros

Chicago

Barbaros, Hatteras 41' Before and after restoration

1. Point Bow at open water.

2. Push throttles forward to 80% max rpm.

3. Enjoy it.

Mitagating factors aside. Ha, never had much problem emptying our fuel tanks. Good luck.
    Fifth Girl
    St. Simons Is Ga
    1996 39' Convertible #628
    J & T 6-71 465 hp
    3:1 ZF, 34x47 5 blade

Bear in mind that one 6oz cup of gasoline produces the same explosive result as 1 stick of dynamite (according to the US Army EOD guys). SO, its time to "call the Man".

Open a can of your favorite beverage and watch from a distance as a professional removes and disposes of this fuel. Of course you checked the professional's insurance currency prior to him starting work?
    Bear'
    1984 61' MY Strategic Plan