Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Will anybody's 53 cleanly plain WITHOUT the tabs full down?

When out the other day after cleaning the shafts/props the boat wouldn't exceed around 15.5K (up from 12.4 prior to cleaning) but it would do any better and it never "flattened out." I thought I had the Tabs on full down.

This AM I was thinking about why it wouldn't cleanly plane and I checked to find that the TTs werent' working and that they has stayed full up. Then I remembered that a few weeks ago I was working in the the aft section of the boat under the queen and had turned off the circuit breaker to the tabs. So that resolved the why they weren't working issue but it got me wondering about if a 53 can plane properly without the tabs full down.

Anybody's able to do so?
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Re: Will anybody's 53 cleanly plain WITHOUT the tabs full down?

Mike, even with a bit more waterline length my boat will not plane cleanly without the tabs in the full down position. I have to advance the throttles to full to get her out of the hole with tabs all the day down, then after the nose comes down I can throttle back to around 1950 or so. If I get under 1900rpm she falls off plane pretty quickly!

The water depth will affect the boat's ability to plane off. Be aware of that when you're running your sea trials.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Salt water (ocean ) vs. the CBay water will make a difference also. My boat is almost 1kn faster in deep salt water at the same RPM. ......Pat

Which is easier to plane on, shallow or deep?

Mike...where is this breaker? I wonder if my tabs might not be working and that's why she didn't plane off. How did you test? Start the engines in the slip, press full down and jump in and check? If you turn off the engines, should they remain down?
    Dave
    "Saraswati" - 1980 53MY
    Galesville, MD

Quote Originally Posted by stormchaser View Post
    Which is easier to plane on, shallow or deep?

It seems to change I know guys here with larger Hatts I am thinking 40' and up always claim Deep water but my 34 with the old power wanted shallow water. Now it doesn't change at all and I use to be able to feel the back end drop when I went off a edge to deeper water!
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

The bigger the boat the more the "suck back " phenom and slower the speed in shallow water. It seems more pronounced on mine at slower speeds . At 10Kn in 15-20 ' my boat will slow to less than 9 Kn in 5-6 '. It let's me know it's getting shallow . Salt water makes the boat float higher and the difference in density makes it faster in salt water ..............................Pat

Not in my case, my 57' Constellation picks up almost 2 knots when I enter the Bohemia River on the Northern Chespeake or when I get into any other water less than 12' deep.
    Last edited by whaler23; 06-16-2009 at 01:38 PM.

Dave ... my tabs stay where they are set when I turn off the engines.

The shallower water the faster I go. Within reason. In deep water I sometimes don't plane at all. In deep water I slow right down. I drop 4 MPH. I was told that it is common practice for Hatteras's to run full tabs down on plane. I run tabs full down on my 43 or I will never get on plane. I'm hoping my new props help with the planing.

BILL