I need to change out the coolant in my 3208 CAT's which have done quite well with Dexcool in the last 5 years. I'm not sure that something else would work better. Dexcool was (or still is) a GM product with ethylene glycol. Prestone's "Dexcool", when you call Autozone or Advance Auto, does not say on the container what it's made of (so says clerks I talked with - I will verify in person). Shell's Rotella ELC coolant is an ethylene glycol based coolant (per web page). Question: Should I go back in with the Shell Rotella ELC coolant or is there something else better for my engines that I should be using?

Other points: I will also be flushing the engines with a recommended engine detergent.

I read somewhere that Dexcool is a "low volum" fluid and can leak through old gaskets. I suspect that there is some truth to this in light of a the few drops that have turned up (rarely) in my bilge over the years.

Oh, even a well known S.C. CAT dealership parts guy could not give me a straight answer as to what the hell is in their coolant!! As Yachtsmanbill once said: "EXCELLENT, DUDE !!! Trust the parts guy with WHITE HAIR !!!"

Responses are deeply appreciated.