Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Proper coolant for 3208 CATs

I need to change out the coolant in my 3208 CAT's which have done quite well with Dexcool in the last 5 years. I'm not sure that something else would work better. Dexcool was (or still is) a GM product with ethylene glycol. Prestone's "Dexcool", when you call Autozone or Advance Auto, does not say on the container what it's made of (so says clerks I talked with - I will verify in person). Shell's Rotella ELC coolant is an ethylene glycol based coolant (per web page). Question: Should I go back in with the Shell Rotella ELC coolant or is there something else better for my engines that I should be using?

Other points: I will also be flushing the engines with a recommended engine detergent.

I read somewhere that Dexcool is a "low volum" fluid and can leak through old gaskets. I suspect that there is some truth to this in light of a the few drops that have turned up (rarely) in my bilge over the years.

Oh, even a well known S.C. CAT dealership parts guy could not give me a straight answer as to what the hell is in their coolant!! As Yachtsmanbill once said: "EXCELLENT, DUDE !!! Trust the parts guy with WHITE HAIR !!!"

Responses are deeply appreciated.
    Capt'n Bill

"People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did, But people will never forget how you made them feel."

Re: Proper coolant for 3208 CATs

Sounds like the parts guy does not know.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I researched this before changing coolant this winter. I looked at a lot of posts over on the boatdiesel forum. The concensus was to use regular CAT coolant, not the ELC version, due to the leakage problem you mention. I just bought it from my CAT dealer. It was $14.26/gallon. It already has the nitrites in it so you don't need to add anything.
    Looking for another boat...not a Hatt

I have been using the Cat DEAC (Deisel Engine Antifreeze/Coolant) and distilled water for 7 Years with no problems. I did change coolant at least once in that time for other reasons.

I would not use the Cat ELC. It is more expensive and not really necessary in a 3208. Just keep up with the SCAs and you should be good to go.

The last time I ordered it the part number for a gallon container was 8C3684.

Blaine

Quote Originally Posted by Blaine Thorpe View Post
    The last time I ordered it the part number for a gallon container was 8C3684.
    That number is exactly what I bought this past January.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaine Thorpe View Post
    I have been using the Cat DEAC (Deisel Engine Antifreeze/Coolant) and distilled water for 7 Years with no problems.

Blaine,

where did you go to buy the large quantity of distilled water necessary for the job?
    Capt'n Bill

"People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did, But people will never forget how you made them feel."

Quote Originally Posted by (Nobody You Know) View Post
    Blaine,
    where did you go to buy the large quantity of distilled water necessary for the job?
    My 3208T's only hold 10 gallons each. For a 50/50 mix, that takes 5 jugs of distilled water from the grocery store. I think the TA's hold a little more.

Quote Originally Posted by (Nobody You Know) View Post
    Blaine,

You should be able to get it at most grocery stores for less than $1.00 a gallon.

Blaine