Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Will anybody's 53 cleanly plain WITHOUT the tabs full down?

Quote Originally Posted by eze2bme View Post
    Dave ... my tabs stay where they are set when I turn off the engines.
    Excellent to know. Will be hopping overboard this weekend.
    Dave
    "Saraswati" - 1980 53MY
    Galesville, MD

Most of my boats have been faster in shallow water. My 38 Viking was slower. You get in less than 10 ft in that Viking and it was like you put the brakes on.

Many large yachts (60+ Ft) will vibrate like it has bent props in under 20 ft of water. As soon as it gets deeper, they smooth right out. Go figure.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

I think that has something to do with pressure waves reflected off the seabed or something like that.

A few years ago the QE2 ran aground in Vineyard Sound and required a lot of repairs. One of the causes of this mishap (among others) was thought to be that the boat was going too fast in relatively shallow water, which caused the hull to be sucked down towards the bottom. Or something like that. My boat seems to run faster and freer in deeper water. Not that I have enough nerve to really go fast in shallow water.

My boat runs faster in shallow water. Same with my last boat. Always felt good to run about 2kts faster on the stretch of river before I got to the marina. Had about 3 miles of 8-10ft deep water before I hit a no wake zone so the thrill was short and only could do it when the tide was high and the channel wasn't full of small boats.
    Jack Sardina

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    My boat seems to run faster and freer in deeper water. Not that I have enough nerve to really go fast in shallow water.

I would have thought with the repower it would be more like mine being I don't really see any speed change any more. The boat does have that freer feel in the Ocean it feels at home there doesn't like that nasty chop in the bays!
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>