Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Aftermarket air filter assembly for Onan MDKD

I have an 8 KW MDKD and need to replace the air intake assembly. The Onan part is not only expensive, but poorly designed. I am looking for something like a really small version of the Racor air filter (their smallest is 800 cfm) that I can just plumb to the intake with a piece of hose. Has anyone done this or know of a manufacturer for something like this. It only needs to handle about 200 CFM.
    Looking for another boat...not a Hatt

Re: Aftermarket air filter assembly for Onan MDKD

Racor makes small airseps . K and N airfilters also would be a source . They have all sorts of generic airfilters that you could adapt............Pat

Okay, I will look into that.

I also made a mistake, the 200 cfm includes cooling air moved by the fan. I am guessing this little engine only needs 30 cfm or so.

Could you adapt a standard K&N cone filter? Like the ones for a car:

They can be had pretty cheap...
    Dave
    "Saraswati" - 1980 53MY
    Galesville, MD

Yes, I am thinking about that. What I would really like is something as shown in this picture, a canister type unit. I am trying to call this company to see where they source these. I haven't found them at Racor yet.
    Attached Images

Jeff, search donaldson filters. They market a large inventory of filters (canisters) for industrial,tractors,etc.
    Frank
    47 Atlantic
    LUV'N LIFE

Thanks, I bought a Donaldson G042545. Supposedly it will make the generator quieter too!

Quote Originally Posted by fissioneng View Post
    Thanks, I bought a Donaldson G042545. Supposedly it will make the generator quieter too!

Let me know if that works I can't see how your going to hear the difference. I have the same one pretty noisey with out a cover. I think a lot of the noise is from the governor on them it has precision balls that spin around and that seems to make a lot of the noise. Well at least on mine it does do you find the same thing??
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

Quote Originally Posted by 34Hatt View Post
    Let me know if that works I can't see how your going to hear the difference. I have the same one pretty noisey with out a cover. I think a lot of the noise is from the governor on them it has precision balls that spin around and that seems to make a lot of the noise. Well at least on mine it does do you find the same thing??
    The guy at Southeastern Power (Phasor Generators like in the photo) told me I would hear a big difference with this filter. I have an enclosure, so it might not make as big a difference. Phasors are all powered with Kubota diesels and he installs this filter on the smaller ones.

The plastic air baffle rattles a lot on mine since one of the mounting tabs is broken. I have been doing a lot of maintenance on it lately and it seems to me there is quite a bit of intake noise. I have not noticed the ball bearing sound coming from the governor. I will put my ear closer to that next time.

I'll let you know how it works out.

Just as an FYI - Walker Engineering makes an Airsep Kit for that genset. The AIRSEP works just like it's bigger cousins to contain the blowby from a diesel engine.

These kits can be purchased from your local West Marine. Probably won't have it on the shelf but it can be ordered and will come in on the stores next truck. WM SKU is: 7777071 Retail price is: $500
    Tim

Ex 1978 53' YF owner