Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Need for license to pilot a 58+ yacht

Do you need a license to pilot your own yacht say from 58 foot to 75 foot long (non-commercial) ? I have run smaller boats in the 20 foot range, but didn't know if there was a certain length of boat that was a threshhold for needing a license. Any information would be appreciated as well as any helpful web sites someone may want to recommend.

Re: Need for license to pilot a 58+ yacht

Maybe. Some vessels will need them for the insurance company to be happy. Otherwise the vessel and its use will determine the need for a licence.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I have a friend who bought a brand new boat that was considerably larger than what he had. The ins co made him have someone onboard who was used to larger boats.

If it's a pleasure craft used for your personal use only. No licence is required. The insurance company may require you to have some training if they feel you are not competent enough to properly operate the larger vessel. Other wise there is no licence required to operate any size vessel as long as its not in commercial use.

BILL

Depends on where you operate the boat. In NJ you need a boating certificate to operate any motor boat regardless of size. NY is not far behind as are several other states. Some are considering requiring a captains license over a certain size.

As for the Ins. co requiring a licensed captain, that is fairly common on larger boats typically 70FT or bigger. Some carriers may require a licensed captain on smaller vessels but not always. The requirement usually is only for the first 2 years of ownership but again this varies form one carrier to another.
    Jack Sardina

Well I know someone with a new 54 Hatt and his experience was some what limited with larger boats. The Insurance company would not cover him unless his father was on board who had years of experience. So that 70'# is not cast in stone. Probably also comes down to size and money! So most of these post do agree except one sorry Trojan.
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

I graduated from a 33' express cruiser straight up to a 58MY - HUGE difference. My insurer did not bat an eye and while I do have a captain (Pascal) on my policy now (switched to a commercial policy), when I first bought the 58MY, the insurer didn't question me a bit, much to my surprise. It was a year or a year and a half later (maybe two) that I added a licensed captain to my policy, but not because I was asked for it. So, it seems to me that the answer to that question is that it depends how your insurer feels about it. There is no legal requirment to do so.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

A certificate is not a licence. There is still no captain licence required. Insurance is no criteria for getting a licence. Nor do they have the power to require it. You just can't get there insurance. If you own your boat, any length, you can pilot it. You can always change insurance companies. I had similar experience when I owned a sports car. If you have enough money you don't need insurance. Though insurance is the correct way. They still don't require a licence......... Common sense would be the only criteria that is required. Most people know what they can handle and I'm not saying that some boats shouldn't require a licence, But as of today, you do not require a captain licence to operate any size non commercial vessel in the USA. SORRY!
    The same crap happens with the 50 ft motor homes. I think they should have a special licence. Just like the big rigs. But they don't. Only if your a commercial operator.

BILL
    Last edited by Trojan; 06-11-2009 at 09:53 AM.

Funny this should come up, I was in a meeting several weeks ago discussing future requirements around the great lakes. Since Canada is going mandatory boating safety courses, the great lakes states are considering the same to navigate any size or type vessel in on or around the great lakes, date to be set. Who knows it can only help, we have all seen some of these yahoos on the water, and I for one am tired of dealing with them.

10. Re: Need for license to pilot a 58+ yacht

Florida has mandatory licensing in the general sense but exempts us "old farts" who are grandfathered.

Nonetheless the test required to get the "license" is a written, it is not proctored, and its trivial. No practical demonstration of ability is required.

As for those grandfathered I can operate any size vessel I like for private, non-commercial purposes. I might not be able to get it insured without a paid captain, but if I don't need or want insurance I am legally permitted to operate a 200 footer if I can afford to buy it.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker