Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: Clean looking 58my (18'2") gets major price cut

[QUOTE=Anyway, the boat was absolutely gorgeous inside and out. If I was in the market for a large boat I would jump on it.
    Walt[/QUOTE]

It looked like an extremely clean boat. Wish I had the rest of my property sold, I would certainly give this one a look. Great looking boat. Incidentally, that is what I was just doing.......looking at that particular boat on YW.
    Dan
    Danali Star
    Melbourne Florida

that 58 was a local boat and was owned by a forum member. My friend did the engines. The Previous owner kept it in pristine cond.

The boat is gorgeous and very well maintained. The owner passed away a few weeks ago. I guess his wife just went to the broker in the yard to sell it. Last time I saw that boat it was perfect. If anyone is serious about it I could take a look as it is about 5 mins from my boat.
    Jack Sardina

Quote Originally Posted by SeaEric View Post
    There are a lot of "low price" / "great deal" customers now for whom the actual boat is secondary. This is a premise that is lost on me, but its happening. Go figure.
    I see it the other way. The broker is secondary. If I have to I'll deal with a jerk to get a good price on a good boat I'll do it. In the end the boat is the goal not a nice touchy feely experience with a sweet smelling broker. The boat is the only thing I keep when it's over. I would figure this guy out then be his friend for long enough to get the deal. Assuming of course he's offering a good boat at a good price.

Brian

He offers a lot of good boats at hard to beat prices and he knows it. His prices are firm, he won't co broker a deal and he won't spend a lot of time with you. Charlie's approach is "I'm giving you a great deal. Take it or leave it because someone will come by with the cash." May seem a bit rough but he does sell a lot of boats at hard to find prices.
    Jack Sardina

I thought I recognized that 58. I'm sorry to hear that the owner passed away. Nice guy. I sold him a 53 Classic back in the early 90's. I'm sure the 58 is clean. He always kept a nice boat.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Fred, the previous owner, was a very nice guy. I remember when we first joined the club, he had his 53 Hatteras and he kept it in bristol condition. I passed him last year on the Shrewsbury River and his current boat looked spectacular. I know from being members of the same club that he was anal about the maintenance of his boat, cars, etc. I'm sure that anyone who was serious about a widebody 58 should seriously look at the "Betty Ann". Forget about Charlie from Red Line Marine. As Brian and Jack have said, it's still the right boat and if you're serious, you will get the deal you're looking for.

Fred passed away after a fight with Renal cancer at the beginning of May. He and his wife were very nice people that worked hard so that they could love life. I was actually going to go over at the beginning of this season to tell him about the HOF when I got the email of his passing. He would have been so excited to learn more about this group. I'm sure a lot of you would have liked to hear his input.

His boat is right next to Red Line's famous 53' Hatteras Sportfish with a single stateroom.
    Larry Kaplan
    Former Owner of
    1980 60' Sportfish

On Monday I had an appointment set-up by my broker with the real listing broker to view this boat. We were instructed to meet Capt Bob and he would unlock the boat and provide any help that might be needed. Capt. Bob did just that, what a great individual. (Retired ferry Capt. from N.Y. Harbor and 30 year close friend of the owners. During the inspection I heard some very loud conversation from the wheelhouse area. I went to see and Charlie from Red Line Marine had come aboard uninvited and was yelling at my wife asking what we were doing aboard HIS boat. I entered the conversation at this point and intercepted all of his threats asking if he was in fact the new owner. He repeatedly said that he was. At this point Captain Bob enterened the conversation stating that he did not buy this boat, nor were there any contracts written for the purchase for this boat. At this point Charlie changed his story and said he was going to buy the boat. Subsequently, he again changed his story and said that he was going to sell the boat as a favor for the owner. At this time, I asked Charlie that since he did not own this boat, have a contract on this boat, or a legitimate listing, to please get the hell off. He continued his rant for a few minutes and at this point he obviously decided better and left. I finished inspecting the boat and along with my broker, left for the evening. On the ride home, Captian Bob, contacted the owner and the owners daughter informing them of what had taken place. Captain Bob was told that if Charlie from Red Lion Marine stepped foot on the boat again to have him arrested. My broker, the owner of Maryland Yacht Sales contacted the listing broker and he is following up with various complaints to YW where an unapproved listing of this boat appears. The boat itself appears in need of cosmetic and mechanical maintenance on several issues because of non use and attention at this point. On a scale of 1 to 10, it is probably a 7 to 7.5 at best. The owner of Maryland Yacht Sales, also a member of this forum, conducted himself professionally and with restraint as the situation became quite heated between myself and the owner of Red Lion Marine. Subsequently, the owner of the vessel contacted my broker personally and appoligized for the situation and promised action on her part. At this point, we intend to pursue possible purchase of this vessel without any further interruptions or instigation by the owner of Red Lion Marine.

Thanks so much for that update. The whole thing was sounding very convoluted. Just goes to show you, every industry has their Jackass!! If you don't mind, please follow up if you close on the boat and indicate if Red Line was ever legally a part of this listing. It is just hard to believe this level of arrogance and presumption on this guys part. Several members said that Red Line was to be avoided like the plague.........guess they were right.

Also goes to show you, don't believe everything you see on YW!!
    Last edited by Danali Star; 06-03-2009 at 02:51 PM.
    Dan
    Danali Star
    Melbourne Florida

"Also goes to show you, don't believe everything you see on YW!!"

Based on my experience when looking for a 53 5 years ago I'd say, "Don't believe ANYTHING you see on YW!"

We looked at boats that per YW were "a one of a kind, pristine example of this classic motoryacht No expense has been spared!" (their words). In person they were anything BUT pristine. Some were just short of junk.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"