Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: Simple Prop Removal Tool

Need something to yank 2inch 4blades off my boat, and 1inch (I think) off the ski boat. Prop knocker seems to be the best bang for the buck (pun intended).

Any sources, or somebody selling theirs?
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    Need something to yank 2inch 4blades off my boat, and 1inch (I think) off the ski boat. Prop knocker seems to be the best bang for the buck (pun intended).

Any sources, or somebody selling theirs?
    You must have enough stuff laying around to make your own
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Some yard and divers use a hydraulic puller with chains. The easiest tool is a prop smith which screws right into the hub. Worth getting the prop shop drill the holes whenever the props are in
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I've got a Walters prop puller if you want to borrow it. If you are coming through Annapolis, I could lend it to you.

I have used an Algonac prop puller like that in the photo for years, both on the hard and in the water. It's never failed me. I don't recall what it cost me 25 years ago, but I just saw a used one advertised on-line for $200. A much better approach than banging on the shaft.

All said previously about impact damaging roller and ball bearings is true. Even accidentally dropping a bearing on the floor will often ruin it.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    I've got a Walters prop puller if you want to borrow it. If you are coming through Annapolis, I could lend it to you.
    I may take you up on that. Will PM.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

I agree on the Propsmith tool. It's fairly compact and works great. After I saw a yard beat the crap out of my back up props/shafts to get them off I had the prop shop drill and tap the hubs to accept the Propsmith tool. ZF told me not to hit the end of the shafts with a sledge although I'm sure that the threaded on pipe tube idea does work. Wacking a tapered fit laterally while the puller is loaded works great. Do it all the time on ball joints, it's even better from both sides at once. That said that big Walter puller works great as well but if I remember correctly there are two sizes. I sold mine after I got set up with the Propsmith solution on both set of props.

George
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"

I have the small algonac and it works well but is tight on some 4 blades.

I pull my props once in a while even if Im not sending them out so I can clean the mating area and re seat them so there are no issues when I need to get them off.

If the boat comes out for more than a wash I pull them.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I checked, Walter has 3 sizes (first pic).

The Propsmith solution (second pic).

A cool hydraulic solution, hey pass me a beer and crank it to 150PSI (third pic).

hqdefault (1).jpgpsmith1-500x500.jpg032306044.jpg

George
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"

The ultimate solution - hey if we all pitch in!

maxresdefault (5).jpg
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's