Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
  1. MicroAir FX1 / Two Speed Fan Options?

I thought I already posted on this some time ago but couldn't find it. Sorry if this is a dupe.

I am trying to understand what my options are for getting a quieter 24000BTU variable speed fan/air handler in the Salon. We currently have a two speed motor which I recently converted from a two knob + Honeywell + hi/low toggle switch to a FX1. So far it appears there is no possibility of variable speed control on this unit. I have tried using the high and low speed and it seems to only cycle the motor. As an interim fix i have set it to full fan speed along with enabling the compressor interlock so that it stops the fan when the compressor is off.

Has anyone upgraded to a better (and quieter) air handler? If so, how much was it? Any other ideas to make variable fan control work with this motor setup?

P.S. I have talked to Micro-Air a bit but they don't seem to have a good handle on the motor type likely due to it's age. They have in general been very helpful.

20171113_200910603_iOS 1.jpg20171113_200835278_iOS.jpg

Re: MicroAir FX1 / Two Speed Fan Options?

That's a variable speed pully on the motor. It looks like it is set to a high speed. It can be adjusted for slower speeds

Variable speed pulley? Please explain
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by MVCaprice View Post
    I thought I already posted on this some time ago but couldn't find it. Sorry if this is a dupe.

I am trying to understand what my options are for getting a quieter 24000BTU variable speed fan/air handler in the Salon. We currently have a two speed motor which I recently converted from a two knob + Honeywell + hi/low toggle switch to a FX1. So far it appears there is no possibility of variable speed control on this unit. I have tried using the high and low speed and it seems to only cycle the motor. As an interim fix i have set it to full fan speed along with enabling the compressor interlock so that it stops the fan when the compressor is off.

Has anyone upgraded to a better (and quieter) air handler? If so, how much was it? Any other ideas to make variable fan control work with this motor setup?

P.S. I have talked to Micro-Air a bit but they don't seem to have a good handle on the motor type likely due to it's age. They have in general been very helpful.

Attachment 26008Attachment 26009
    I'm throwing my 24k salon unit out, and replacing with a Marinaire self contained unit. The Marinaire compressor is in a sound shield. I'll let you know how it goes. Today, I'm replacing one of the staterooms Cruisair units with a Webasto unit. Removed the old air handler, thermostat, fan control and associated wiring today. The stateroom is directly above the generator room, so it's no trick to run water lines directly from the existing water distribution manifolds. The Webasto unit fits perfectly in the space the air handler occupied. The Marinaire unit requires routing water lines under the galley sink.

I have the same setup in the salon, a 36K compressor and a two speed fan as shown here. When I installed the FX1, I set it to full fan speed and just use the high/low switch as needed. Its not real quiet, but it moves air and it'll make it as cold as a walk-in meat locker.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Sky, Can you explain the variable speed pulley to me?

It looks like a regular pulley to me.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

On some of our equipment it's a pulley where the wedge of two tapered disks where the belt rides can be opened or tightened, effectively changing the diameter of the pulley.

Those look like they are statically adjusted. Some are dynamic and can be varied while running.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

The pulley is made in two pieces. The halves can be seperated by loosening a set screw and loosening the halves, basically seperating them. By doing this, you are reducing the diameter of the pully, changing the ratio of the two pully's, slowing down the fan. The belt may need tightening after pully adjustment.

This is how we used to Adjust air flow on hvac systems before variable speed direct drive motors.

Maybe it's my eyes. I don't see the adjustment in that pulley but it's not the best pic on my phone.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

10. Re: MicroAir FX1 / Two Speed Fan Options?

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    I have the same setup in the salon, a 36K compressor and a two speed fan as shown here. When I installed the FX1, I set it to full fan speed and just use the high/low switch as needed. Its not real quiet, but it moves air and it'll make it as cold as a walk-in meat locker.
    I think I am going to add the toggle switch back in for now and set it up as you have. I really want to switch to a direct drive variable speed fan & condenser, but that is not going to be a cheap conversion so this will have to do for the time being.