Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Looking For A Specific Headliner Material

I found mold in the main cabin - above the headliner. I tore it up, and wiped all surfaces with bleach. I see that there are all kinds of headliner fabric out there. I am specifically looking for a headliner material that really breathes easy so that any trapped moisture can easily evaporate. Do you know where I can find such a headliner material?
    Akin Tosyali
    Hatteras 41 -Barbaros

Chicago

Barbaros, Hatteras 41' Before and after restoration

Re: Looking For A Specific Headliner Material

Sam's Marine stocks the factory perforated headliner and sells it by the yard or by the roll. Give Sam's a call and tell them what you need.

Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

their headliner is not perforated. I am looking for the perforated material.
    Akin Tosyali
    Hatteras 41 -Barbaros

Chicago

Maybe Sam's doesn't have the perforated (I bought the solid from them) but that link that Sky posted sure looks perforated to me.

Excellent guys - thanks for the tip. BTW, I found it a little cheaper here:
    yourautotrim.com/whitpalhead.html

FYI, I do not understand the use of a solid fabric for the headliner. Any moisture in the air, if it gets trapped above the headliner, will turn into mold. Shouldn't we all use perforated headliners?
    Akin Tosyali
    Hatteras 41 -Barbaros

Chicago

Akin, I agree with you. Two vapor barriers with air trapped between is not a great idea. Also, if you do have a leak, there is less chance you will see an indication. Then again, from a new boat warranty point of view, that may be a plus.

Pete